Service Engineer / Maintenance Field Service Technician
1105 Myatt Blvd Madison, TN 37115
- Our client is seeking a field service engineer / technician to ensure the reliable and good operation of our customers’ equipment and products including tube benders, tube bender peripherals, communication software, simulation software, etc. This includes installing, configuring, maintaining, supporting, and optimizing all mechanical, electrical, electronic, hydraulic, pneumatic, hardware, software, and communication links at customer' s facilities. These activities might also require end user training as well.
- This role will have close interrelations with Customers, Sales, and various levels of management in an effort to manage or resolve machine failures or lack of good performance.
- Client has been very specific about needing someone with electrical experience along with hydraulics.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Provide onsite Technical support or installation.
- Travel to customer' s facilities to install, troubleshoot, and maintain equipment.
- Install hardware and software configurations.
- Install, troubleshoot, and maintain electrical, electronic, mechanical, hydraulic, pneumatic, and computerized numerical control systems (CNC) software, hardware, and peripherals. Identifies, analyzes, and repairs product failures during installations.
- Suggest replacement parts. Quote replacement parts as required.
- Quote services as required.
- Provide technical training and machine functionality training to customers when required, either at customers or in-office.
- Provide technical customer support. Resolve customer issues by using email, phone calls, or other methods.
- Ensure customer satisfaction is maintained.
- Communicate technical issues to management as needed.
- Address technical issues to line supervisors and operators.
- Promote continuous improvement.
- Provide internal training to improve overall field support competencies.
- Interact with sales and management to continually evaluate and improve the machine support solutions.
- Promote the implementation of a service tracking system with recommendations for continuous improvement of the Service Department.
- Remain flexible in filling other project roles as required.
- Multitasking and multiple roles are required for completion of services or projects.
- Attend weekly Engineer/Department meetings when scheduled.
- Ensure the restocking of inventory parts, components, or materials in the shop to assure a quick response to service and training calls.
- Housekeeping at the office and the shop.
- Reception-approval of materials from vendors when required.
- Fill out service reports and archive them into customer' s service history files, either electronic or physical files.
- Fill out biweekly timesheets.
- Plan travel schedules in advance in order to obtain the maximum discounts or better prices of flights when possible, rental cars, and hotels.
- Operate forklift and other material handling equipment as required.
- Keep/request tooling necessary for good service delivery.
- Responsibility and decision making authority
- Involve other team members to establish best practices/decisions.
- Act independently when required.
- Thorough knowledge of hydraulics and pneumatics.
- Knowledge of mechanical drives (sprocket, pulley, timing chain, gear box, coupling, ball screw, etc.) .
- Technical knowledge to identify correct parts to repair or improve an existing mechanical drive assembly.
- Extensive knowledge of tooling design.
- Machine shop experience.
- 3D CAD design software; such as, AutoCAD, SolidWorks, Solid Edge, etc.
- Reading mechanical and assembling drawings.
- Hands on experience, not afraid of getting dirty.
- Troubleshooting skills.
- Proficient with tape measurement, caliper, and other measuring devices.
- Basic knowledge of electricity, power, and control circuits.
- Proficient in the use of multimeters and other electronic testing equipment.
- PLC knowledge is a plus.
- Wiring skills.
- Troubleshooting skills.
- Excellent computer skills (networking, hardware as well as software, etc.).
- Experience with robotics or closed-loop servo systems is a plus.
- Must be willing to learn!
- Proficient in Windows XP, 7, 10, etc.
- Proficient in the use of Microsoft Outlook and Office (Word, Excel, etc.).
- Excellent communication skills (writing, reading, and verbal).
- Must be able to work with other nationalities (Japanese, Hispanic, Brazilian, etc.). Must make an effort to communicate with other people in the office that are learning the English language. This person must be used to working with different nationalities. This is very important.
- Must be willing to travel, sometimes extensively, inside the USA or overseas when assigned.
- Flexible and willing to adapt to a fast pace, quick-changing environment.
- Must be able to work in a manufacturing environment.
- Must be able to interact positively with production workers, plant supervisors, maintenance personnel, general management, and vendors for training, coordination of installation, safety issues, machine problems, and other issues involving customers or suppliers.
- Be willing to take other responsibilities (sales, administration work, shop work etc.)
- Must have organizational skills
- Excellent presentation and written communication skills
- Strong interpersonal skills, supported by strong analytical and problem solving skills.
Education and Experience:
- Bachelor’ s Degree or Associate Degree in Electronics, Electricity, or Computer Systems with 2 or more years of experience, or 5 or more years of experience into the industrial automation field with appropriate education.
- OT: Yes
- Travel: 25% - 75% (expenses and travel paid by client)
- Service Engineers may have to travel Monday through Friday (travel to customer on Monday, work in their facility on Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, travel home on Friday). Sunday travel is rare, so typically home for weekends. Also may have months with no travel and months with bi-weekly travel.