900 Enchanted Way Simi Valley, CA 93065
Job Duties and Responsibilities
The Mechanical Designer, assists a team of engineering staff to design components, parts & assemblies, and to create engineering drawings, engineering change orders, bills of materials, and other related engineering documentation. The Mechanical Designer will work with engineers and manufacturing personnel to create new designs & drawings, modify existing designs & drawings, document design changes, update bills of materials, and shepherd documents through the configuration management system. This activity includes:
- Design of mechanical parts, components & assemblies, including composite parts, metallic, and non-metallics.
- Creation and review of engineering drawings and documents that conform to company and industry drawing standards.
- Analysis of manufacturing tolerances and fabrication methods to help ensure part/assembly manufacturability.
- Application of geometric dimensioning and tolerancing.
- Specification of materials, finishes, and workmanship callouts in accordance with industry specifications
Required Qualifications and Background
The Designer shall demonstrate expertise of CAD, especially SolidWorks. Experience should have emphasis on the design of electro-mechanical systems, mechanical assemblies, electronics packaging, composite parts, plastic injected molded parts, tooling & fixtures, and wire assemblies. Must have good interpersonal skills to be able to interface with the other group members and departments.
Required characteristics include:
- U.S. Citizenship Required
- 3+ years of experience in design and drafting.
- Good understanding of industry design and documentation standards (GD&T, ASME, Change Control, etc.)
- Demonstrated expertise in Solidworks CAD
- Good understanding of industrial and military drafting/drawing standards.
- Demonstrated competence in designing composite aerospace structures & related composite manufacturing processes
- Experience in creating the following types of drawings: machined parts drawings, composite parts drawings, plastic injection molded part drawings, sheet metal fabrication drawings, source control drawings, specification control drawings, wire assembly drawings, mechanical assembly drawings, and weldment drawings.
- Experience with Solidworks EPDM a plus.
- Experience with Agile PLM a plus.
- Hands on design/build UAV experience a plus, especially lightweight RC aircraft or other miniature robotics systems.