Tooling Project Engineer
3101 Enterprise St. Brea, CA 92821
Coordinates project completion by working with our customers, customer service, planning/purchasing, manufacturing and sales.
Works closely with suppliers and team members both internal and external to ensure all customer requirements are met.
Generally, operates under detailed instructions and specifications but requires considerable ingenuity to improvise and adapt when necessary.
Must be proactive and action oriented to drive projects to successful completion.
- Manages Engineering Projects assigned by Manager, including scheduling, planning and customer meetings to ensure successful completion on time and on budget. This requires a proactive approach as well as a sense of urgency to complete tasks and identify ways to improve and/or recover scheduled task dates.
- New Product Design, Part Testing and Qualification. This includes new product design concepts, prototypes, engineering samples and testing as well as creation of Engineering test plans and Qualification Test Plans (QTP) and Qualification Test Reports (QTR).
- Be able to create and define tooling design direction and manage the construction of injection mold tooling as well as other type of tooling and machinery to support project objectives. This applies to both new and repair or modification of mold tooling, assembly or test fixtures and machinery.
- Drive timely production implementation plans and tasks to support customer product schedules while following the QMS Policy and Procedures.
- Diagnoses and determines appropriate corrective action for problems with conditions of products, equipment, molds, presses and processes.
- Creates, reviews and approves part drawings and tool plans/design for all tooling projects.
- Creates tool plans for new projects and generates part drawings for customer approval.
- Analyzes tools and molds to determine where efficiency can be improved through modifications, renovations or by re- tooling when necessary.
- Creates BOM’ s for all new jobs as well as maintains current accurate BOM’ s for all existing jobs.
- Maintains accurate and current files 3D data files for all parts, tools, fixtures and molds using Solidworks CAD software. In some cases, CATIA may be used depending on customer needs.
- Maintains accurate and complete project books or files for each project.
- Works closely with customers throughout projects and assists them with issues such as material selection and design specifications whenever necessary.
- Completes special assignments as requested.
- Performs other duties as directed by the department Manager.
- Maintain the highest ethical standards, even when challenged from above
- Understand and live by company ethics and business conduct policies
- Support Trade Compliance Processes and Procedures, including performing Jurisdiction and Classification of Product and Technical Data
- Proven Project Management experience, including successful customer interface and communications management.
- Direct Plastic Injection Molded Product design and development experience.
- Injection Mold design and construction experience to a high level of proficiency.
- Ability to read and interpret & create common documents related to the Injection Molding field. As well as Documents typical in the Aerospace and Aircraft industry. This includes details drawings and specifications.
- Bachelor’ s degree in Engineering (Operations, Industrial or Mechanical discipline) and/or equivalent work experience.
- 7-10 years of experience as a tooling/product design engineer.
- Plastic injection molded product design & mold, highly familiar with injection molding processing and mold construction.
- High Level of Proficiency with Microsoft Office Suite, including MS Project.
- Must be able to become proficient with IQMS in manufacturing related modules, e.g.: Purchase order and Receiving, Inventory, Preventive Maintenance, Real Time, Bill of Materials.
- High Level of Proficiency with Solid works CAD and able to learn and use CATIA.
- Demonstrated ability to resolve technical issues with internal/external customer/teams.
- Excellent verbal and written communication, interpersonal and presentation skills.
- Ability to manage multiple projects and able to meet deadlines.