Automation Engineering Manager
Monrovia, CA 91016 US
The Systems Department provides integrated systems to our customers using the Define-Design-Deliver philosophy. These systems include a broad range of advanced technologies integrated into a machine or workstation to provide precise robust manufacturing solutions for customers.
The Automation Engineering Manager for the Systems Department is responsible for managing the software and electrical engineering engineers. The Automation Engineering Manager will have a proven background in leading engineers in electrical, automation, and software development.
- The Automation Engineering Manager is the technical lead for the Systems Software and Electrical Engineering Groups. The manager has an expectation to handle portions of the Systems Software Groups programming needs for customer order specific features and development projects as well as electrical engineering support and troubleshooting.
- The Automation Engineering Manager will be engineering controls for integrated system operation of motion and IO control, laser programming, machine vision, data collection and analysis, file management, dll creation, PLC code, human machine interfaces (HMI), production floor automation connectivity suites, and networking capabilities using graphical user interfaces (GUI) with real time implementation.
- Ability to understand UL, CE, and NFPA standards as applicable to Systems integrations and contract orders.
- Maintain and improve procedures for the release of electrical drawings for manufacture and assembly and the software release protocols.
- Other projects and tasks as assigned by the company from time to time
- Work in and foster a team environment with other engineers, production, QA, test, materials control, contract management, and sales personnel
- Prepare detailed engineering release documents and compliance documents
- Develop and report on project and schedules for the Automation group of the Systems department.
- Lead the engineering team to develop innovative solutions
- Create clear expectations of best practices when planning, engineering, and implementing projects.
- Set performance goals and provide regular feedback via informal and scheduled reviews.
- Facilitate meetings to effectively inform management and the team of project status.
- Technical lead level experience in C# is required.
- Strong fundamental background in software engineering is required.
- Knowledgeable in software design tools and environments including: .NET, Visual C++, C#, Windows, and networking
- Ability to understand and create electrical and pneumatic models and drawings.
- Strong communication skills; this role will be communicating daily with internal and external customers.
- Ability to travel occasionally
This position will lead three to eight direct reports with procedures providing guidance for twenty to thirty employees.
EDUCATION & EXPERIENCE:
- Four year degree in computer science, engineering, physics, or related discipline
- Three years+ experience in designing custom full stack desktop applications.
- Experience in designing custom machine vision applications
- Two years+ experience in a leadership role.
- Attention to detail and being flexible to handle multiple tasks independently.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Exceptional organization and time management skills.
- Proven ability to meet deadlines while performing task accurately.
- Self-motivated with a strong sense of ownership in all areas of responsibility.
- Punctual and dependable attendance.
ENGLISH LANGUAGE SKILLS
Ability to read, analyze, and interpret general business periodicals, professional journals, technical procedures, or governmental regulations.
Engineering degree level mathematics and statistics
Ability to solve practical problems and deal with a variety of concrete variables in situations where only limited standardization exists. Ability to interpret a variety of instructions furnished in written, oral, diagram, or schedule form.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Stand and walk – 1/3
- Sit – 2/3+
- Reach with hands and arms – 2/3+
- Use hands to finger, handle, or feel – 2/3+
- Talk or hear – 2/3+
- Carry, push or pull – 1/3
- Lift up to 20 lbs. -1/3
- Bend – 2/3