Control Systems Engineer III - Analyzer Engineer
1500 Hughes Way Long Beach, CA 90810
Primary Job Responsibilities:
- Technical resource for the control systems field specifically related to complex (major) Analytical Systems.
- Support P&ID development; help maintain the P&ID’ s through the course of each project phase.
- Support development of the Instrument Index and I/O List; help maintain the Instrument Index and I/O List through the course of each project phase.
- Support development of material / labor TIC and engineering / design effort hour cost estimates.
- Support incorporation of analytical systems content into mechanical equipment vendor packages.
- Develop and/or support development of analyzer data sheets, analyzer shelter/rack narrative specifications, analyzer system block diagrams, shelter / rack equipment layout drawings, sample conditioning system assembly drawings, sample supply / return layout drawings, probe assembly drawings, shelter/rack assembly drawings, transport time calculations, etc.
- Coordinate with Global Integrated [project] Delivery (GID) office(s) aka workshare office(s) to ensure work packages are being prepared in compliance with the lead office.
- Ensure specified items are in compliance with client requirements and standards, check specification / requisition packages prepared by others.
- Prepare engineering specification and requisition packages for inquiry and purchase.
- Prepare technical bid evaluations and make recommendations for purchase.
- Interface with suppliers to ensure compliance with specifications.
- Review vendor data to assure specifications and project requirements are met.
Training and Experience:
- BS or MS in engineering or related discipline; especially Chemical, Electrical or Mechanical Engineering.
- PE license or equivalent desirable or FE exam passage or equivalent preferred.
- 4+ years of experience on medium to large capital projects, from project inception to startup.
- 3+ years of experience in oil & gas, refinery, petrochemical, and/or polymer plant design required.
- Current knowledge of EPC work processes as well as familiarity with the various project phases and the scope/deliverables required for each; developing business acumen for lump sum and cost plus projects.
- Knowledge of the application, specification and installation of analytical systems including gas chromatographs, mass spectrometers, ambient monitors, fire and gas, CEMS, as well as other stack gas environmental regulatory driven analyzers.
- Familiar with the development of all analytical systems related deliverables; including analyzer data sheets, analyzer shelter/rack narrative specifications, analyzer system block diagrams, shelter / rack equipment layout drawings, sample conditioning system assembly drawings, sample supply / return layout drawings, probe assembly drawings, shelter/rack assembly drawings, transport time calculations, etc.
- Thorough understanding of P&ID symbology and presentation techniques.
- Familiar with hardware inspection, FAT, SAT, system checks, start-up and commissioning.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Advanced MS Office skills (Word, Excel, Access, PowerPoint).
- Database Instrumentation tools experience preferred (SPI/Intools, ABE (Aspen Basic Engineering), Aveva, Comos, others).
Other Essential Functions:
- Keen safety awareness.
- Able to perform job walks wearing personal protective equipment (PPE) in an operating facility.
- May require travel to national and international jobsites and supplier locations.