Controls Technical Manager
100 Universal City Plaza Universal City, CA 91608
Controls Technical Manager
Provides technical guidance & vendor management for an attraction or all attractions under his or her area of responsibility. Responsible for the successful specification, design, procurement, production, installation, and acceptance testing of the Ride and Show control systems to include control system associated with Audio, Special Effects, Projection, Lighting, Show Action Equipment, and Animated Figures.
• Responsible for scope development, bid & award, monitoring, and progress of design fabrication and installation and testing, by vendor for each show element. Reviews and evaluates activities of vendor and its sub-contractors on an ongoing basis with regard to product quality and compliance to specifications to ensure technical integrity and creative intent is met
• Ensures all Show and Ride control equipment maintains the highest level of safety in accordance with Specifications, accepted manufacturing practices and local standards.
• Provides technical guidance as required to Show and Ride Responsible Engineers (REs) within the day-to-day detailed installation, test, and adjust activities in the field. Builds strong team cohesion and motivation within the Attraction Technical Team.
• Performs all technical duties and take all technical responsibilities in the absence of Responsible Engineer support personnel.
• Oversees all technical interaction with Attraction Responsible Engineers, Vendors, Sub-contractors, and other relevant 3rd person parties involved with Show and Ride control systems. Develops an open working relationship with the Specialty & General Contractors to insure a clear line of communication regarding installation, test, and adjust activities.
• Enforces Show and Ride technical principles to provide a quality product and necessary deliverables to our customer. Support the test and adjustment of all control systems produced
• Supports and advises the Project Director on how best to achieve this goal.
• Advises, coordinates, and is accountable to the Technical Director regarding the status and engineering quality of Show & Ride control systems including areas of risk or potential future risks.
• Understand and actively participate in Environmental, Health & Safety responsibilities by following established policy, procedures, training and team member involvement activities.
• Other duties may be assigned.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
• Development of Scopes of work and Specifications for Controls and Safety systems within a themed entertainment environment
• Experience overseeing and managing Vendor performance, including technical completeness of designs and deliverables to industry standards.
• Familiar with industry standards and codes (such as ISO, NEC, IEC as relates to Machine Safety) and able to develop, review and execute testing programs to ensure safety and reliability of control systems.
• Proficient in Microsoft Office Suite, Auto CAD, Solidworks, Sketchup, Rockwell Automation, RS Logix, RS Views, AP4000, MP4000
• Ability to read, analyze, and interpret general business periodicals, professional journals, technical procedures, or governmental regulations.
• Ability to write reports, business correspondence, and procedure manuals.
• Ability to effectively present information and respond to questions from groups of managers, clients, customers, and the general public.
• Ability to interpret an extensive variety of technical instructions in mathematical or diagram form and deal with several abstract and concrete variables.
• Ability to solve practical problems and deal with a variety of concrete variables in situations where only limited standardization exists.
• Requires a sound understanding of engineering practices and procedures.
• Clear and concise communication/people and management skills.
• Consistent attendance is a job requirement.
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE
Education: Bachelor’ s degree from a four year college or university in Mechanical Engineering or Electrical Engineering is considered.
Experience: 1-3 Years: Required Vendor Management experience with significant in-field installation related experience.
1-3 Years: Preferred experience with contract law and practices in the theme park and/or construction industries.
5-7 Years: Required related experience. Theme Park specific experience is highly preferred; or equivalent combination of education and experience.