Deputy Project Business Manager
1 Starling Pasadena, CA 90040
The Deputy Project Business Manager (DPBM) will be reporting to the Project Business Manager.
The DPBM will be responsible for applying extensive and diverse knowledge of project controls & project business management principles and practices relevant to managing large science & engineering projects.
This position will support the project in meeting technical, cost, and schedule objectives.
A principle element of this function is to maintain policies and procedures of best business practices and to ensure compliance.
The DPBM must have experience and knowledge of National Science Foundation Large Facilities Earned Value Management preparation and reporting.
In addition, they must have experience in establishing and maintaining the execution of the project cost/schedule baseline.
The successful candidate will be autonomous, self-driven, self-motivated, and a team player capable of working inside and outside the organization, project, activity or function.
- Support project management with project controls functions: planning, tracking, analysis, and reporting for multiple needs of varying complexity and requirements.
- Assist in developing and maintaining the Performance Measurement Baseline (PMB).
- Research and coordinated best business practices for the project and companywide.
- Assist PBM in effectively implementing the use of Earned Value Management (EVM).
- Ensure integration between the schedule and cost data.
- Provide hands-on contribution to the development and maintenance of basis of estimates.
- Track and maintain project budget in the project management system of record.
- Apply analysis to understand, forecast and communicate cost and schedule trends, performance analysis and status, and provides recommendations for corrective actions for all cost and schedule variances against plan.
- Administer and maintain the Work Breakdown Structure (WBS) and WBS Dictionary and Work Authorization Memos (WAMs).
- Assist PBM in managing the project contingency and lien list.
- Provide analytical assessments, including lifecycle cost analysis, estimates to complete forecasts, scenario analysis, and root cause analysis.
- Prepare reports using business system reporting tools (MS Project, Cobra, Dynamics SL, ReQlogic, Stratustime).
- Minimum of 12 years of experience in project controls
- Bachelor’ s in Business, Finance, Engineering, or related fields
- Advanced knowledge of Deltek Cobra and MS Excel
- Advanced knowledge of EVMS best business practices, policies and procedures
- Advanced knowledge of National Science Foundation EVMS standards and practices
- MBA or Master’ s in Business, Finance, or related field
- Extensive experience with cost/schedule baseline change control processes
- Previous experience working in a highly technical environment with engineers and scientists on large engineering and construction projects
- Previous experience working in Telescopes, Flight Project or industries such as Research and Development or Civil Construction
- Possess a certificate as a Project Management Professional (PMP)