Director, Software Development
11011 Via Frontera Suite A San Diego, California 92127 San Diego, CA 92127
Plans, directs, and coordinates all activities associated with creating software (mobile and desktop applications) closely integrated with consumer electronics hardware (embedded FW) across multiple functional areas and products including product focused web services and integration with external technology partners.
High-level Description of Responsibilities:
- Oversee a fun and talented distributed team in all aspects of SW and FW development consisting of both internal and externally contracted resources.
- Oversee and even contribute code changes daily in multiple software projects with varying levels of architectural interconnectivity.
- Lead fast paced development team integrating software and firmware with internally developed hardware with close focus on schedules (primarily market facing consumer electronics).
High-Level Description of Experience:
- Shipped end customer facing Windows, Mac, iOS, Android, and Web service applications
- Shipped software for Consumer Electronics, Gaming, or Audio products
- Knowledge of digital audio, audio enhancing technologies, and audio communication systems.
- Architecture and contribution of software developed in C#, C++, C, Objective-C, and Java
- Familiarity with DotNet, WPF, Windows Installers, and driver signing a plus
- Familiarity with embedded MCUs, DSPs, and audio hardware a plus. Working knowledge of protocols such as I2C, I2S, DMA, USB audio, Bluetooth (including BLE), and various proprietary partner derived APIs
- General summary of day-to-day activities and duties (i.e. the EULA you might skim vs. read.):
- Prioritize and allocate projects, products, and resources with the assistance of architects, managers and developers.
- Actively manage, from a scheduling standpoint, all software related projects within the scope of products, web services and IT.
- Participate in the strategic decisions about technology, definition, and implementation of software-related products.
- Provide leadership, guidance, motivation and mentoring to software team members in the areas of software development, engineering judgment with a business model, and project ownership and management.
- Actively participate in the hiring, review, and whenever necessary, disciplinary action of managers and developers.
- Plan, direct, and coordinate activities of a multi-team or cross-functional organization as it relates to the software within any of the products, web services or IT functionality.
- Provide software developer skills whenever needed as an individual contributor and take ownership of specific projects as required.
- Modify existing software to correct errors, allow it to adapt to new hardware, or to improve its performance.
- Develop and direct software system testing and validation procedures, programming, and documentation.
- Confer with systems analysts, engineers, programmers and others to design system and to obtain information on project limitations and capabilities, performance requirements and interfaces.
- Analyze user needs and software requirements to determine feasibility of design within time and cost constraints.
- Store, retrieve, and manipulate data for analysis of system capabilities and requirements.
- Consult with customers about software system design and maintenance.
- Supervise the work of programmers, technicians and other software/IT engineering personnel.
- Manage software system installation and monitor equipment functioning to ensure specifications are met.
- Other job-related duties as assigned.
Embedded Software and DSP Engineers, Application Development Engineers, Product Validation Engineers
- Bachelor’ s degree in Computer Science, Information Technology or similar technical field.
- 15+ years’ experience with programming & computer systems
- Ability to lead and manage a team; ability to work collaboratively across functional areas
- Excellent attention to detail and demonstrated ability to write code