Director - Engineering
220 Seventh Avenue Beaver Falls, PA 15010
Looking for a hands-on leader who is interested in being a key player with a growing manufacturer in Beaver Falls, Pennsylvania. This position serves on the company executive team and reports to the President/CEO. The engineering director will act as chief metallurgist for this cold drawn bar mill which focuses on the manufacture of special shapes.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Acts as chief metallurgist and is responsible for all quality, plant and equipment maintenance.
- Contract Review.
- Product Engineering.
- Product Testing.
- Project Engineering.
- Environmental Compliance.
- Budgetary responsibility for MRO, chemicals, energy, environmental, tooling and maintenance spending.
- Primary contact for supplier and customer technical requirments.
- Maintain ISO 9004: 2015 compliance program.
- Direct reports include Process Engineer & Metallurgist.
- Responsible for all environmental compliance requirements working in concert with third party environmental engineering firm.
- Work with executive team to establish and execute strategic and tactical plans.
- Establish spending plans and control spending for assigned responsibilities.
- Responsible for maintaining company ISO certification, lead ISO Management reviews, lead preparations for internal surveillance and renewal audits; maintain QMS.
- Process owner for all product technical specifications, including material specifications, annealing requirements, process paths and product certification.
- Process owner for all tool room activities including tool design and maintenance as well as spending and technical capability.
- Process owner for all product testing including external and internal test requirements, metallurgical lab activities and organization and product certifications
- Responsible for capital spending, process and budget.
- Process owner for all plant and equipment maintenance activities with eye for continuous improvement in safety, productivity, product yield, equipment up time and reduced process variability.
- Responsible for energy procurement (contract and spot buys); waste stream haul out and disposals; as well as new supplier approvals.
- Supports sales growth activities.
- Back up for manufacturing director when absent.
- Occasional travel for supplier quality assurance and customer relations.
- 15 + years of diverse plant and product engineering assignments of increasing responsibility including mill an/or engineering leadership roles in steel industry.
- Bachelor of Science, Metallurgy or Metallurgical Engineering.
- Solid foundation in ISO requirements.
- Strong internal and external customer focus.
- Strong supplier quality foundation.
- Working understanding of steel annealing processing and effects to achieve mechanical properties.
- Strong foundation of environmental compliance requirements.
- Superior general business savvy and entrepreneurial bent toward measured risk-taking.
- Comfortable using integrated ERP system for business process control.
- Comfortable on shop floor, interacting with operators for process improvement and problem solving.
- Team player and strong individual contributor.
- Willingness to roll up sleeves and get things done daily.
- Comfort with metallurgical lab activities and test procedures.
- Practical experience leading maintenance and project engineering.
- Cold finished steel manufacturing expertise including de-scaling, drawing/rolling, annealing and finishing.
- Extensive customer contact and supplier contact experience.
- Working understanding of governmental permitting requirements.
- Appreciation for organizational dynamics and how to motivate people to do their best work focused on organization' s priorities.
- Expense and capital budget expertise.