Director of Operations
16760 Schoenborn Street North Hills, CA 91343
Responsible for leading and overseeing all operations activities including Planning, Purchasing, Supplier Management, Materials Management, and Production.
Accountable for all Operations staff activities and providing leadership, clear direction and mentoring to the Operations team. Interfaces with stakeholders and collaborates with a variety of other functional areas in order to deliver program and company results that achieve business goals and objectives and ensure all activities adhere to the contract obligations, FAA quality standards and are responsive to the customers’ needs and market opportunities. Identification and implementation of process improvement initiatives and ensuring all program activities are executed in accordance with established processes and procedures.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Provide leadership and strategy to the Planning, Purchasing, Major Supplier Management, and Production/Manufacturing departments.
- Embrace and take an active role in promoting the concepts of continuous improvement – where appropriate through a Kaizen methodology; Team work, Personal Discipline, Improved Morale, Quality Circles and suggestion for improvements.
- Monitor operation processes and performance metrics and proactive action to correct financial, quality and schedule variances.
- Promote a “ Right First Time” mentality throughout the organization.
- Manage tasks, resources and risks while monitoring financial budgets to make timely critical decisions needed to meet overall scope, budget and objectives of the company.
- Collaborate with the Management team to develop improved processes and metrics for group wide implementation.
- Ensure that business system processes are implemented to a Group standard that maximizes the effectiveness and utilization of the Pentagon platform.
- Contribute to, and provide support of, proposal development, strategic planning and budgeting.
- Provide recommendations on capital expenditure projects that support quality and cost improvements and objectives of the facility.
- Work closely with senior leadership team to ensure that the production schedule is maintained and make them aware of any issues that may affect sequencing or completion.
- Ensure all activities in support of production are coordinated and executed to achieve maximum effectiveness and efficiency.
- Create, maintain and provide company visibility of, the Production Master Schedule and project tracking schedules.
- Develop, maintain and implement Operations processes, best practices and other documentation in accordance with corporate strategies and direction.
- Review and Monitor subcontractor performance and ensure payments are controlled in compliance with agreed criteria.
- Ensure that all organization activities and operations are carried out in compliance with local, state, and federal regulations and laws governing business operations.
- Meet with the production managers/supervisors, holds them accountable for the daily tasks that must being accomplished and ensures prioritization of tasks as required maintaining cost, quality and schedule.
- Provide leadership to cross-functional projects teams including functional areas within the internal customers as well as external customer and vendor team members.
- Develop and manage internal relationships, establishing relationship and collaboration with key stakeholders to ensure client satisfaction.
- Ensure all objectives for all departmental personnel are established and actively mentors and develops employees to obtain greater capabilities and assume greater responsibilities.
- Maintain a neat organized work area and helps with the general daily housekeeping of the department.
- Serve as the accountable manager for the facility in the absence of the President
- Participate in Financial Reviews with Executive Management and maintain preparedness to complete this review in the absence of the Chief Operations Officers.
- Other duties as assigned.
Summary of Education, Experience & Certification
Bachelor' s degree in business or engineering discipline with a minimum of 15 years experience in Manufacturing/ preferably with aerospace/aviation industry experience. Minimum of 10 years management experience.
- Experience and understanding of kaizen (Kaizen methodology; Team work, Personal Discipline, Improved Morale, Quality Circles and suggestion for improvements) and lean concepts in a low volume, low technology, high variation, and production environment is desirable.
- Must qualify as a US Person which is defined as a US Citizen, a Permanent Resident who does not work for a foreign company/foreign government/foreign governmental agency or organization, or a political as lee in compliance with International Traffic in Arms Regulations.
Required Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
- Proven management skills including displayed leadership of high-performing team.
- A strong understanding of Kaizen methodologies and the identification of waste
- An understanding of and commitment to providing a visual workplace.
- Strong coaching, mentoring and overall employee development skills.
- Ability to work well independently and cross-functionally as part of an established and growing team.
- Ability to build effective working relationships, persuade and influence, and problem-solve complex issues.
- Strong communication, time-management, and organizational skills.
- Ability to read, analyze and interpret the most complex documents. Ability to respond effectively to the most sensitive inquiries or complaints. Ability to make effective and persuasive speeches and presentations on controversial or complex topics to top management or project teams.
- Ability to apply principles of logical or scientific thinking to a wide range of intellectual and practical problems. Ability to deal with nonverbal symbolism (formulas, scientific equations, graphs, etc.,) in its most difficult phases. Ability to deal with a variety of abstract and concrete variables.
- Demonstrated experience with Accounting software, Database software, Project Management software, Spreadsheet and Word Processing software, and Internet knowledge.
- Ability to sit for extended periods of time, use hands to lift and/or move up to 10 pounds, occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds, and have close/color vision ability to adjust focus.
- Ability to travel as required.
- Ability to work outside of core business hours as required.