Embedded Firmware Engineer
46280 Dylan Drive Novi, MI 48377
The successful candidate will plan, design, develop and implement firmware for microcontrollers (from inception to deployment) for use in industrial I/O devices that interface with prominent industrial network protocols (EtherNet/IP, DeviceNet, Profinet, Profibus-DP, EtherCAT, etc).
The candidate will be responsible for project status reporting and obtaining development schedules and milestones including reviewing code, testing and validation plans. Additionally, the position requires that all development practices are in compliance with best practices for code development, reuse and portability. Tracking and maintaining all records and metrics related to the software development process.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Design, develop code, test and debug system firmware/software.
- Review coding and design criteria and optimizes performance.
- Analyze and enhance efficiency, stability and scalability of system resources.
- Integrate and validate new product designs.
- Support firmware/software QA.
- Interface with hardware design and development.
- Contribute new and innovative ideas to rapidly evolving business development activities.
- Assess third party and open source software.
- Provide post production support by identifying complex technical issues, evaluating options and implementing solutions.
- Create technical manuscripts of firmware operation.
- BS degree in Computer Science or Electronic Engineering or 10+ years of equivalent experience.
- 5+ years’ experience in embedded firmware/software engineering including troubleshooting on embedded targets and C/C++ programming.
- Familiarity with software configuration management tools, defect tracking tools, source code control tools, and peer review including Eclipse, Mercurial (or other DVCS), and GCC.
- Expertise with OS coding techniques, interfaces and hardware subsystems.
- Proven experience in embedded systems design with preemptive, multitasking real-time operating systems (RTOS), including OS coding techniques, interfaces and hardware subsystems.
- Expertise with TCP/IP protocols.
- Experience with schematics, component data sheets and electronic test equipment.
- Ability to manage multiple tasks effectively and efficiently.
- Ability to respond and adapt to changing priorities.
- Excellent organizational and time management skills are a must.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills.
- Industry: Industrial Automation.
- Shift: 8 am - 5 pm or 7 am - 4 pm.
- Travel Requirements: None.