Instrumentation & Controls Department Manager
Tampa, FL 33607 US
Title/Position: Instrumentation & Controls Department Manager
Location: Tampa, FL
Work Schedule: Monday, Friday Remote; Tuesday to Thursday Onsite; Every-Other Friday Off
Citizenship: US, Green Card, Permanent Resident
Relocation Assistance: Yes
Our client is a private, Florida-based company where people matter, where your voice is heard, and where decisions are made with team members' best interest in mind. The company has a 20-year history, supporting clients in the oil refining, petrochemical, fertilizer (phosphate and nitrogen), chemical, pharmaceutical, municipal, consumer products, and industrial facilities industries in the USA and internationally.
They offer a comprehensive benefits package that includes medical, dental, vision, short- and long-term disability, long term care, life insurance, 401(k), paid time off, paid holidays, and company events that support their team members throughout their career.
The I&C Manager will have the following:
The I&C Manager is responsible for managing the discipline engineering to meet all client and project requirements regarding scope, scheduling, and budgets under the guidance of the Manager of Engineering. Additional areas of responsibility include coordination of the discipline's engineering with those of other disciplines, oversight of records, files and other documents pertaining to discipline, and being accountable to the Manager of Engineering for the following:
- Adequacy of the engineering in discipline
- Planning and scheduling the engineering effort in discipline
- Coordination between discipline and other disciplines on the project
- Meeting engineering schedules and manpower budgets
- Maintaining the proper engineering files and records
- Timeliness and accuracy of technical and administrative reports on engineering activities
- Establishment of design basis, procedures, and technical approach to meet project requirements in accordance with company standards and to assure consistency with other projects
- Technical adequacy of the engineering in discipline
- Training and mentoring of department discipline engineers
- Participation in technical development efforts and design review efforts as assigned
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Develop detailed discipline scope of work and schedule for the engineering effort, based on project schedule and scope of work for discipline
- Establish schedules and budgets to meet the project requirements and obtain approval of the Manager of Engineering
- Maintain technical coordination (with Discipline Chief Engineer, if applicable) under the guidance of the Manager of Engineering to assure adherence to industry codes, regulatory requirements and sound engineering practice
- Oversee performance management of discipline engineers assigned to the department
- Coordinate discipline's engineering activities with those of other disciplines on the project
- Maintain engineering files and records; direct the preparation of periodic reports and forecasts on the status of discipline engineering for projects and submit to the project manager and Manager of Engineering
- Schedule, direct, and document discipline engineering meetings between Project Management, client, vendors and other engineering groups
- Develop the technical and managerial capabilities of subordinates
- Provide liaison between discipline engineers and Manager of Engineering, Project Manager with respect to project scope, budget, scheduling and overall engineering and design requirements
- Manage overall technical quality of the department
- Maintain necessary staffing levels in the department to meet the needs of projects
- Prepare engineering people-hours estimates and support proposal preparations
- Act as a working Manager, leading projects and project teams
Experience should include the following:
- Extensive background in the design of instrumentation and control systems for chemical, refining, petrochemical and specialty chemical plants, including preparing instrument specs, loop sheets, wiring diagrams, etc.
- Solid background in PLC and DCS systems such as Allen Bradley, Emerson-Delta V, Yokogawa, Honeywell, etc., including preparing architectural network diagrams and control equipment specifications
- Detailed Design, PID development, instrumentation and control equipment specifications, datasheets, PLC control Programming, HMI development
- Knowledge of NFPA/70-NEC, IEC, ISA, and other relevant industry codes and standards with respect to design requirements
- Solid written and verbal communication skills
- Proven ability to work both autonomously and as part of a team
- Knowledge of digital and analog control systems for regulatory and supervisory process control design, development of control philosophy, and coordination of work between other disciplines and instrumentation departments
- Experience preparing work-hour (engineering) estimates, installed cost estimates, budgeting, scheduling, controlling and reporting instrument and control design progress to ensure efficient and timely execution of the project
- Solid abilities coordinating with Clients on instrument specifications and control philosophy issues related to the development of P&ID diagrams, control systems design, and wiring of distributed control systems and programmable controllers
- Expertise supervising engineering and design personnel assigned to projects, manpower-planning, and scheduling of engineering activities
- Ability to act as a working engineer and design discipline leader, providing technical guidance and quality checks on design team's output
- Experience liaising with plant and construction team members for on-going domestic and international projects
- Ability to coordinate with local authorities on compliance with local rules/regulations and permit approvals
- Ability and willingness to travel to job sites, as needed
- Prior field work experience
- Bachelor of Science in appropriate engineering discipline from a four (4) year accredited college or university or equivalent education
- Registered Professional Engineer (PE) required
- 15 to 20 years engineering experience
- 5 or more years supervisory and people management experience
Question & Answers, Instrumentation & Controls Department Manager
- Do you have a Bachelor's degree or higher in Engineering with a discipline related to Instrumentation and Control Systems?
- Do you have 10 or more years of experience in front-end and detailed engineering design of heavy industrial plants
- Do you have a PE license?
- Are you willing to travel to job sites when needed?
- This position is located in Tampa, Florida. If offered the position, are you willing to relocate to Tampa (if applicable)?
- Will you now, or in the future, require sponsorship for employment visa status (e.g. H-1B visa status)?
- Please share with us your salary expectations or a desired salary range.