Java Software Engineer
9333 Balboa Avenue Technical Services & Defense San Diego, CA 92123
Performs complex software engineering assignments. Provides technical guidance and leadership. Provides project coordination and supervision. Coordinates activities for proposals/new business. Defines budget and schedule constraints. This position typically works under general supervision and direction. Incumbents of this position will regularly exercise discretionary and substantial decision-making authority.
Essential Job Duties and Responsibilities:
- Coordinates and develops project concepts, objectives, specifications and resource needs.
- Prepares design specifications, analyses and recommendations.
- Participates in the design, development, planning modification and/or improvement of software systems in accordance with engineering procedures.
- Researches programming system failures and designs and programs solutions.
- Performs complex analysis of design programming.
- Conceptualizes, develops and analyzes engineering designs, specifications and test plans for systems and advanced technology theory and knowledge.
- Coordinates and contributes to compilation and writing of proposal documents.
- Prepares design proposals to reflect cost, schedules and technical approaches
- Recommends test control, strategies, apparatus and equipment.
- Defines test schedules and test data requirements.
- Test and documents results.
- Prepares and develops software, codes software and design specific enhancements.
- Maintains liaison with the customers, coordinators, subcontractors and vendor representatives.
- Conducts in-House design reviews and technical meetings.
- Makes presentations before management and customers.
- Monitors project status and progress and measure system performance
- Keeps abreast of improvements in software engineering.
- Identifies software engineering process improvement and supports the execution of them across the organization
- Provides mentorship to junior engineering staff.
- Assumes additional technical responsibilities as needed.
Minimum Job Requirements:
- Four-year college degree in computer science, computer engineering or other related technical discipline, plus a minimum of two of related experience or a master’ s degree.
- Experience to include specification, design and development of software systems. Requires proficiency using programming languages such as Java, Product Lifecycle Management, graphics or other developmental software.
- May require ability to develop software in a Unix, Windows Server 2003/2008/Vista/XP/Windows 7 and up, Integrated Development Environments (IDEs) or other PC environment.
- Experience with networking, GUI development and SNMP.
- May require experience with embedded processing.
- Ability to use PC software such as Microsoft Word/Project/Visio, database, spreadsheet and flowchart, and Computer Aided Software Engineering (CASE) tools.
- Effective written and oral communication skills required.
- Knowledge of customer needs and competing products desirable.
- Able to analyze and solve complex software engineering problems.
- Able to prioritize work and complete multiple tasks under deadline and budget guidelines.
- May be required to travel domestically and internationally to include working odd hours, in-line with customer requirements.