Arleta, CA 91331 US
POSITION SUMMARY: Evaluates, analyze and implement change to processes which involve CNC machining, Thread Rolling and grinding. Utilizing Lean concepts and single PC flow whenever applicable. Experience and knowledge with machine shop processes is essential. Setup reduction, standardization and improved flow are desired goals. Incumbent works to broad policies and objectives that require considerable independent judgment and initiative. Actively participate in Continuous Improvement and Lean Manufacturing objectives across the company.
SCOPE & EVALUATION CRITERIA:
The incumbent is primarily responsible but not limited to the following:
· Develops, evaluates, and improves setup and production methods, utilizing knowledge of product design, material and parts, fabrication processes, tooling and production equipment capabilities, and quality control standards
· Designs standard systems & processes to ensure setup reduction and efficiency gains are realized and maintained
· Design tooling required to ensure efficient production methods
· Oversee the fabrication of tooling needed for production
· Develop blue prints and inspection plans for tooling, and disposition any problems during tool fabrication
· Develops, documents, and audits established systems tool strings in every cell
· Lead the implementation of Certified Parts through standardized tooling, frozen CNC programs and frozen setup and production times
· Assist programmer in finalizing strong systems for MasterCAM post-processors and CNC programs
· Confers with management and other staff regarding manufacturing capabilities, production schedules, and other consideration to facilitate optimum production processes
· Complete other Manufacturing Engineering and Continuous Improvement projects as directed by Engineering Manager.
Evaluation Criteria shall be based on meeting the following:
MANAGERS SCORECARD: # What Measurement Achievement:
1 Setup efficiency improvement, Setup efficiency of X cell, Increase efficiency by X% .
2 Production efficiency improvement, Production efficiency of X Cell, Increase efficiency by X%
3 Fixture Design Standardization, Fixture design and fabrication systems, Documented and Auditable system
4 Manufacturing Engineering projects Various, as determined by Engineering Manager TBD
5 Part Specific Efficiency Improvement Job Analysis or COPQ Continuous Improvement
· Setup and production efficiency improvements throughout the shop floor
· Continuous Improvement projects for all facets of manufacturing at the company
· Develop and standardize all systems & special tooling needs on the shop floor
· Audit work instructions, production times, and tool strings to maintain control of these systems
· Submit Planning and Time Change Requests as necessary on behalf of manufacturing cells
· Coordinate the resolution of key issues found on the shop floor during setup and production
· Facilitate tooling and production solutions, working with customers both internal and external in a professional manner
JOB QUALIFICATION REQUIREMENTS:
Training and Experience:
· Bachelor’s Degree in Manufacturing Engineering preferred, or degree in another discipline with manufacturing emphasis, or the equivalent combination of education, training and experience.
· Minimum 5 years experience as a Manufacturing Engineer
· Minimum 2 years’ experience with CNC lathe and mill setup on Fanuc (or Haas) controls including tool/fixture design required.
· Experience with CAM software required (MasterCAM X or higher preferred)
· Experience with CAD software required (SolidWorks or Catia V5 preferred)
· Aerospace and/or Manufacturing industry experience is desired. MRP or ERP experience is beneficial
· Very strong skills and experience required in blueprint interpretation, shop math, and Geometric Dimensioning and Tolerancing (GD&T)
· Knowledge required in lean manufacturing methods, 5-S/6-S standards, cellular layout manufacturing, and single piece flow concepts
· Very strong attention to detail and accuracy required, with outstanding problem solving and root Manufacturing Engineer.doc cause analysis skills
· Very strong written and verbal communications skills
· Must be able to work in a dynamic environment and balance multiple priorities and projects Visual Acuity: Near acuity and accommodation are required for reading machine dial gauges, blueprints, and precision measuring instruments, and accommodation as required for reading and using computer screens and documents
Hearing Ability: Ability to monitor machine sounds to identify and diagnose changes in order to take appropriate action.
Working Conditions: Primarily works in a shop floor environment.
The employee is subject to:
· High noise levels from operating machines
· Physical hazards from moving equipment and machine parts
· Breathing fumes, dust and mist
· Skin exposure to oils and cutting fluid
EXEMPT STATUS: An employee who, by virtue of his/her duties and responsibilities within the Company, does not fall under certain wage and time constraints of the Fair Labor Standards Act (federal and state). And exempt employee does not receive overtime pay. Management will inform the exempt employee of his/her status and responsibilities at the time of hire, re-hire, or promotions. The basic premise of the exempt status is that the exempt employee is to work the hours required to meet his/hers responsibilities. The employee may be required to follow other job-related instructions and to perform other job-related duties as requested, subject to all applicable state and federal laws