4204 Jutland Dr. San Diego, California 92117 | Direct Placement
Chat with a recruiter about this opportunity! - https://flashrecruit.com/jobs/236550
Company designs products which measure mechanical parameters and provide electrical analog and digital output signals, projects will typically require a multidisciplinary (mechatronics) approach, involving a combination of mechanical design, magnetics design, electrical design, and software engineering. Typical tasks involve the design of sensor housings, mechanical enclosures, laboratory testing machines, fixturing, and associated software scripts. Additional tasks may include carrying out experiments and validation testing, interacting with suppliers, liaising with clients, and applying the science of magnetoelastics toward the development of practical devices. Company design and development engineers have the opportunity to apply their varied skills in mechatronics and to be intimately involved in all aspects of the engineering product development cycle: research and development, advanced engineering, application engineering, manufacturing and assembly support, experimental testing, and field support.
Sample Primary Tasks:
· Design and develop custom sensor solutions and packaging installations for various automotive racing, aerospace, and energy applications. Operating environments typically involve significant thermal, vibrational, and/or electromagnetic interference challenges. Carry a product from initial concept to final testing and release for production including both product and test fixturing design, testing, and validation.
· Work independently or in teams to design, develop, and improve upon infrastructure currently used during sensor processing, testing, and calibration. Examples of such equipment include electro-mechanical or electro-hydraulic torque testing rigs, speed testing rigs, and calibration hardware.
· Work independently or in teams to design, develop, and launch new products or new applications such as a bicycle torque sensor, a smart powertrain performance and fatigue monitoring system, or an integrated sensor for speed, torque, and power.
· Manage motorsport application engineering projects in Formula 1, LeMans, Formula E and other series with a view to product quality improvement, data accuracy optimization, and enhanced hardware and firmware robustness.
· Coordinate project progress, interfacing regularly with vendors to ensure timely delivery of components and compliance with drawings, and interacting directly with clients to agree on packaging constraints and technical requirements.
· Support infrastructure development by implementing software upgrades using software programming languages such as LabVIEW, Matlab, SciLab, and C.
· Support research and development projects internal to Company, such as contributing to the development of improvements in torque sensor accuracy, and novel implementations of the rate of change of torque sensor technology. Disciplines involved include metallurgy, magnetics, mechanical design, simulation, finite element analysis, electronics, and software.
· Carry out low-volume production processing of deliverable systems including demagnetization, magnetization, mechanical testing, environmental testing, and calibration of sensor systems supplied to Company’ s motorsport, aerospace, and energy sector clients.
· Support the Company product line in the field including attending dyno tests, racecar track tests, or helicopter flight tests. Troubleshoot failures, establish and document application notes and operating guidelines, and provide in-person and remote technical support.
· Travel to client sites in Europe, Japan, Australia and the US to monitor system installation and provide field support at dyno tests, track tests, and flight tests as required.
· Document and oversee best practices in engineering design including engineering drawing and documentation protocols, tolerancing specifications, product quality guidelines, and vendor quality assurance.
· Assist in and eventually lead, the drafting and delivery of technical proposals and presentations to prospective and existing clients.
· Design and implement new test fixtures, test platforms, data acquisition systems and associated LabVIEW software scripts.
· Contribute to the creation of technical papers, articles, and patents. Attend conferences and present peer-reviewed papers to world experts in the field.
Master’ s degree in mechanical engineering or aerospace engineering is preferred but outstanding applicants having a Bachelor’ s degree will be seriously considered as well.
Both senior and entry – level positions are available. A concentration in mechatronics, control systems, or sensors and actuators is preferred.
Two to four years of professional engineering experience are preferred for the senior level position, but outstanding applicants without prior experience will be seriously considered for an entry-level position.
In general, being comfortable with both electrical / electronics and mechanical aspects / packaging design and development of electro-mechanical systems is very important.
Well versed and interested both in hardware and software (e.g. LabVIEW or FEA).
Proficiency in Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook, Project), and Matlab is expected.
Some background in 3D CAD (e.g. SolidWorks, CATIA, or ProE for mechanical design and CADence/PSpice for circuit design) is recommended.
The Type of Person We Are Looking For
We are looking for self-motivated and committed engineers who have the ability to learn quickly and possess outstanding interpersonal and technical skills. Our approach to engineering is highly interdisciplinary and involves a unique combination of theory and execution.
We are looking for individuals who are highly flexible, can fulfill multiple roles, and can work effectively even with limited supervision, while at the same time thriving in a dynamic multidisciplinary team environment.
Successful candidates will have the ability to interact positively and effectively with clients and colleagues from all over the world.
Periodic travel throughout the US and Europe as well as occasional travel to Japan or Australia can be expected.
We offer unusually high levels of responsibility and visibility with actual clients early in one’ s career, and most importantly, we are a home for real engineers.