Mechanical Design Engineer
465 N. Halstead St., Ste 250 Pasadena, California 90040 | Direct Placement
You will be a member of the team engaged in the design and fabrication of the large structure. During the preliminary design phase, he/she will be responsible for (1) developing, reviewing, and maintaining requirements, (2) formulating design concepts and subsystem interfaces, and (3) developing design solutions. During the detailed design and fabrication phases, he/she will be responsible for reviewing progress of the design-build contractors including designs and analyses, shop inspection, progress validation and fabrication surveillance.Duties will be performed at a high level with only general supervision and direction. Will be called upon to write technical reports and make presentations in his/her area of responsibility.
- Develop and maintain requirements and interfaces for the telescope structure and its subsystems.
- Provide engineering design of structural components of the telescope using static, dynamic and seismic solutions.
- Conceptualize, develop, and complete detailed designs of hardware for various mechanical applications that address requirements and constraints.
- Review, evaluate, and report vendor design and drawings.
- Review, evaluate, and sign off design drawings of others (including contractors) for adherence to layouts, specifications, and complex engineering drafting standards.
- Document results in technical reports, notes and presentations at reviews and meetings, and maintain updated documentation in a configuration management system.
- Prepare and deliver presentations at reviews and meetings.
You will work closely with others to:
- Monitor, review and confirm the designs and analyses of the structure by contractors, to ensure designs meet functional, performance, and appropriate design code requirements.
- Provide oversight of the fabrication of the telescope mount structural elements and subsystems at US and international vendor sites and at the GMT site in Chile.
- Provide scope and schedule planning for tasks.
- Interact productively with vendors, customers, and other associates outside the work unit.
- B.S. degree in Mechanical Engineering.
- Minimum of 7 years of relevant experience in the design of dynamic structures.
- Incorporate advanced knowledge of 3D CAD modeling of design concepts using Solid Works CAD software.
- Working knowledge of structural concrete, steel, and aluminum.
- Working knowledge of connection design, member sizing, field construction, inspection and assembly.
- Proficient in use of SolidWorks (CAD) and 3D modeling.
- Experience with finite element modeling and analysis (FEM/FEA).
- Experience in creating and reading design drawings from the conceptual level through fabrication/shop phases.
- Willingness and ability to travel to foreign and domestic vendor, partner, and observatory locations during the GMT design and fabrication phases.
- Experience and ability to prepare documents, reports, and oral presentations.
- Demonstrated ability to work collaboratively in a group setting.
- Working knowledge of and practical application of the ASME Y14.5M Dimensioning and Tolerancing standards.
- Previous experience working on large scale construction projects.
- Proficient in the use of Microsoft Word, Excel and PowerPoint.
- Working knowledge of motors, bearings, brakes, and drives.
- Ability to travel to subcontractor facilities if required.
- Previous experience working on telescope systems.
- Master’ s degree in Mechanical Engineering or a closely related field.