15777 Gateway Circle Tustin, CA 92780 | Direct Placement
The Mechanical Designer is responsible for absorbing high level concepts and sub-system requirements from senior engineering staff and incorporating these concepts into cost effective, viable, and functional detailed mechanical designs that meet manufacturing plans for new products to ensure all regional and/or global cost and quality objectives are achieved in compliance with Quality System requirements. May develop manufacturing tooling and equipment from concept through release to production based on equipment complexity. Consistently works on complex assignments requiring independent action and a high degree of initiative to resolve issues.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Include but may not be limited to the following duties.
- Providing detailed mechanical designs and manufacturing plans in the new product and process development of manufacturing tooling and equipment ranging from manual assembly fixtures to complex high speed automated assembly equipment and processes.
- Providing assembled part design recommendations along with tooling / equipment design and build utilizing DFM, detailed reviews and concepts such as Lean Manufacturing and Six Sigma philosophy.
- Project coordination and scheduling through the use of project time lines and possibly other reporting systems. Oversees the progress of assigned projects and tasks along with management of suppliers to ensure established goals are achieved to support all internal and external customer requirements.
- Participates in project status meetings as a means of communication to all levels of management and team members to provide and obtain feedback on existing and new projects.
- Working cross-functionally to obtain and control the cost estimates of equipment and processes for the fabrication of new products and upgrades to existing products.
- Assisting with the building of customer samples and new product prototypes for use in the prototype, design, hard model and demo productions phases of new product introduction.
- Assisting senior engineering staff with investigation, suggestions and implementation of continuous improvement projects such as cost reduction and /or process improvement and reliability proposals for existing products.
- Participating and contributing to the conceptualization of new systems and designs in product development.
- Embracing change, flexibility and teamwork in the performance of all duties.
Additional Potential Responsibilities;
- May lead the effort or prepare initial product and quality system documentation, setup and assembly system operational manuals for new products and maintain/update system documentation and operational manuals of existing product.
- Develop standard forms, checklists, worksheets, etc. as required to improve the overall efficiency of the Engineering department and communications of pertinent information regarding costing, quality and manufacturing plans to the affected departments at Interplex Nascal.
- Assist in hands-on activities relating to equipment and tooling builds, debugging and troubleshooting of all mechanical systems as assigned.
- Review and suggest modifications to internal CAD and drawing standards where applicable.
- May mentor and oversee the assigned activities of, technicians and operators.
To perform these duties successfully, the individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill and / or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Education / Experience:
A.S. in a technical discipline with 3 to 5 years practical tooling and equipment design/construction techniques, hands on experience in equipment fabrication and maintenance with the same or similar products and/or technologies used by Interplex Nascal or the equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Ability to read, write and analyze technical application statements of work, business reports, correspondence, procedure manuals and product specifications. Ability to effectively present and communicate information and respond to feedback from all levels of management, customer liaisons and operational support individuals.
Ability to perform basic math skills: Working ability to perform trigonometry, algebra, geometry, statistics and other advanced mathematical operations.
Ability to analyze and define problems, perform necessary data collection techniques, establish facts and draw valid conclusions to resolve situations as part of a continuous improvement process.
- Proficiency in operation of a desktop / laptop P.C., document control processes and product data management software and systems.
- Working knowledge of but not limited to standard word processing / spread sheet software.
- Full understanding in all aspects of 2D and 3D CAD modeling with ability to use all relevant modules for the design of complex systems utilizing but not limited to SOLIDWORKS and AUTOCAD design software.
Other Skills and Abilities required or desirable:
- Thorough knowledge of all machining and material finishing practices that are in standard use.
- Intermediate to Expert knowledge of GD&T as well as all ANSI proper design requirements.
- Working knowledge and design of progressive dies / stamping processes and troubleshooting.
- Working knowledge and design of injection molds / molding processes and troubleshooting.
- Ability to read and comprehend technical drawings and documentation.
- Ability to supervise technician level and tool room personnel in a fast paced environment.
- Working knowledge of required quality systems documentation and requirements such as but not limited to PPAP’ s, DFMEA’ s, PFMEA’ s, Gage R&R’ s capability studies etc.
- Ability to analyze legacy designs and recommend improvements to form, fit, and function.
- Ability to develop standard work instructions to a level adequate enough for successful design transfer of specific designs.
- SAP Software.
- The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an individual to successfully perform each essential duty satisfactorily. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- While performing the duties of this job, the individual is regularly required to talk, hear, stand, sit, walk, reach with hands and / or arms, use hands and / or fingers to touch, handle and feel objects, tools, controls or measuring instruments. The individual must occasionally be capable of lifting and or moving up to 50 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and the ability to focus.
- The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an individual may encounter while performing each essential duty of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- While performing the duties of this job, the individual occasionally works on or near moving mechanical/ pneumatic and or hydraulic equipment. Proper safety practices are employed to ensure an individual' s safety however, the individual is responsible for following all safety guidelines set forth in the corporate safety manual. The noise level in the individual’ s normal work environment is usually moderate (i.e. printers, plotters, air conditioning vents, telephone ringing, several people talking, etc.)