100 Universal City Plaza Universal City, CA 91608
The Senior Mechanical Engineer provides sustaining engineering support for theme park attractions (rides and shows). Duties include complex downtime investigation and troubleshooting of ongoing issues, reverse engineering and redesign, and other engineering tasks as required to ensure daily operational readiness of attractions. Additional duties include complex re-design and development efforts for mechanical / structural systems of theme park rides and attractions to provide increased reliability and operational improvements. Development of some projects will require basic management of out sourcing services, third party consulting, contracts, and scheduling of work.
All work shall be in conformance with ASTM F24 Committee guidelines and compliant with applicable codes, regulations and standards including: AISC, ASME, ASTM, ANSI, AWS, JIC, NEC, and OSHA, among others.
This role has exposure to multiple different ride and show systems spanning multiple decades, each with its unique fun and challenges.
This role has a 5-day workweek that must include Saturdays (e.g., Tuesday-Saturday or Wednesday-Sunday). The role may include additional nights and/or “ weekends” only when absolutely necessary.
• Bachelor’ s degree in Mechanical Engineering required. Master’ s degree in Mechanical Engineering preferred.
• Minimum 5 years mechanical/structural detailed design experience associated w/ dynamic motion systems/components.
• Minimum 3 years project engineering experience in mechanical/structural systems in a large machine environment.
• Proficient analytical skills to perform engineering calculations for design, test and implementation of mechanical systems.
• Proficient background in design of welded structures, beam elements, welded joints, structural steels, gearing, composite materials, manufacturing and fabrication processes.
• Proficiency in hydraulic and pneumatic design, and familiarity with components.
• Proficient knowledge and logical approach to problem solving and troubleshooting capabilities of mechanical and structural systems.
• Proficiency in mechanical drawings, Solidworks, AutoCAD and technical documents.
• Strong experience in the generation of component and mechanical system specifications, acceptance test procedures, failure and effects analysis, scopes of work, installation procedures, training procedure, technical and maintenance manuals.
• Strong knowledge in servo controls as applied to hydraulic, pneumatic, and electromotive motion control systems.
• Knowledgeable in AWS, ANSI and ASTM (especially F24) standards.
• Experience in the design of safety critical systems.
• Ability & willingness to work overtime, weekends and holidays with short notice
• Proficiency in Microsoft Word, Excel, Outlook and PowerPoint
• Theme Park Operations knowledge and experience
• California Certified Professional Engineer (PE)
• Excellent organizational, verbal and written communication skills
• Demonstrated ability to work with all levels of employees and management, and willingness to give assistance to co-workers in other areas. Strong team player.
• Strong interpersonal and analytical skills
• Strong time management skills
• Ability to multi-task and be flexible
• Experience in a union environment