424 Aviation Blvd. Santa Rosa, CA 95403
- Develops and applies advanced mechanical engineering design methods, theories and research techniques in the investigation and solution of complex and advanced technical problems.
- Plans, conducts and technically directs large projects or major phases of significant projects, coordinating the efforts of engineers and technical support staff.
- Analyzes, evaluates and plans methods and organizes means to achieve solution of complex technical problems.
- Works with systems engineering to conduct system level analyses prior to the Preliminary Design Review.
- Analyzes, develops, and recommends design approaches to meet production requirements for new or improved products and/or processes.
- Provides detailed analyses of components and/or subsystems in order to meet system requirements.
- These are presented at the Critical Design Review.
- Completes detail design and BOM structure.
- This includes the selection of off-the-shelf mechanical components as well as custom fabricated parts.
- Material research and selection, vendor outsourcing, working with design consultants as needed.
- The design will be presented at the Critical Design Review.
- Builds, tests, and validates designs over difficult environmental conditions.
- Provides drafting and manufacturing documentation in order to release the design to the production floor.
- For critical subsystems, designs verification will be required. Design of tooling and the use of test equipment as deemed necessary.
- Conducts investigations or tests of considerable complexity pertaining to the development of new designs, methods, materials or processes and investigates possible applications of results.
- Reviews literature, patents and current practices relevant to the solution of assigned projects.
- Recommends corrections in technical analysis and design.
- Interfaces with and evaluates vendor capabilities to provide required products or services.
- May provide technical consultation to other organizations.
- BSME (Masters preferred) or equivalent training/experience.
- 8 years of related experience with B.S. Degree; 6 years with M.S. Degree.
- SolidWorks modeling and drafting experience.
- Advanced knowledge of geometric dimensioning and tolerancing.
- Broad scope product design knowledge.
- Knowledge of manufacturing methods.
- Knowledge of gear train and motor design.
- Understanding of machine design and theory of mechanisms.
- Experienced in thermal design considerations.
- Experience using MS Office software (Word, Excel, PowerPoint), Mathcad, TK Solver, Matlab.
- Finite element analysis using CosmosWorks or ANSYS preferred.
- Advanced materials selection knowledge.
- Knowledge of non-linear finite element (FE) stress modeling.
- Electronics packaging knowledge.
- Advanced skills in shock and vibration analysis, design for fatigue and DEM reviewer.
- Broad mechanical engineering background that balances design, analysis, and hands-on experience developing electro-opto-mechanical assemblies.
- Must be a US Citizen or US Person as defined by ITAR.
- Pre-employment drug screening and background checks are standard.
- CUSTOMER Sonoma EO is an e-Verify Employer.
- Effective written, verbal and interpersonal communication skills.
- Ability to work effectively with other design disciplines as well as manufacturing to create design solutions that address often-conflicting requirements.
- Must be creative, open-minded, a good communicator, and a good listener.
- Must be able to communicate clearly (written and verbal) to technical and non-technical personnel.
- Ability to write clear technical documentation.
- Ability to logically address, analyze and resolve problems.
- Ability to effectively plan and organize projects and manage priorities.
- Acute attention to detail and deadlines.
- Strong analytical skills.
- Some repetitive motion activities.
- Visual acuity to operate equipment, read technical information.
- Able to use a computer/keyboard for extended periods of time.
- Able to use office & test equipment and computers/peripherals, in a standard office & computer lab environment.
- May be required to lift/move up to 25 lbs. with assistance.
- Fast paced, schedule driven environment.
- Willing and able to work extended hours when necessary.