Mechanical Engineering Manager
18114 Research Drive Meadville, PA 16335
- To lead a mechanical engineering design team in automation equipment projects throughout the cycle from initial concept through successful completion.
- To finish assigned engineering projects in accordance with customer specifications and within schedule and budget limitations, coordinating activities of engineering team with project managers and other staff.
- To research, develop, and design a wide range of machinery with custom features, according to the requirements of individual customers
- Maximizing engineering resources (human and capital) to achieve customer satisfaction, productivity, and profitability.
- Creating efficient, technologically robust equipment designs to meet the needs of clients.
- Establishing a design culture that is safety conscious along with a strong emphasis on continuous process and technological improvement.
- Developing and adhering to effective department operating and capital budgets, and conforming to overall project budgets.
Essential Job Functions:
- Responsible for supervising and coordinating the activities of the Mechanical Engineering department, including technical staffing, work assignments, scheduling, personnel performance appraisals, and technical work reviews.
- Prepares design sketches, layouts, schematics, preliminary and detailed design drawings as part of design team using AutoCad Inventor package and directs the work of designers, and drafters as required.
- Communicate with Project Managers regarding design specifications and approaches, delivery targets and capacity requirements as required.
- Collaborate with Electrical/ Controls Engineering staff to evaluate and recommend equipment control structure and design.
- Prepares materials for and participates in design and technical reviews with customers as required.
- Analyzes designs and data, prepares reports, and makes comparisons with similar proven designs as required (FMEA, safety risk assessment, etc).
- Conducts a continuous search of new technology, materials, and processes to enhance and improve equipment designs and department productivity.
- Prepare purchase requisitions for necessary engineering supplies.
- Develop a positive working environment and give guidance and counsel to all direct reports.
Training and Work Experience Requirements:
- Bachelor' s degree in mechanical engineering required.
- Eight to ten years of engineering experience in mechanical engineering design of automation equipment and three or more years of management/ supervisory experience leading design teams.
- Experience with Auto CAD Inventor, as well as general computer skills.
- Engineering skills required include solid knowledge of electronics, mechanics, hydraulics, pneumatics, and machine controls.
- Good mechanical, analytical, and technical skills.
- Good administrative, interpersonal, and communication skills.
Essential Physical Demands:
- Sit, stand, walk, push, pull, reach overhead, and bend to the floor.
- Exert 20 to 50 pounds of force occasionally.
- Exert 10 to 25 pounds of force frequently.
- Exert up to 10 pounds of force constantly to move objects.
- Accommodation as required for reading computer screens and documentation.
- Assists marketing and estimating group in generation of concepts, sales presentations and estimating as periodically required.
- Represent the corporation to the public and clients in a manner that will enhance personal as well as corporate reputation.
- Emphasize process and productivity structure that provide predictable design results.
- The employee may be required to follow other job-related instructions and to perform other job-related duties as requested, subject to all applicable state and federal laws.