35 E. Wacker Drive Suite 800 Chicago, IL 60601 | Direct Placement
The Outside Plant Fiber Design Engineer is responsible for Fiber Optic detailed network design for fiber-based networks. It requires an in depth understanding of current fiber optic design standards and industry processes. It also requires a close coordination with site fielding staff and drafting personnel to support the final product. Typical OSP design responsibilities range from the initial determination of the pathway routing and construction alternatives based on site walk outs to final detailed design generation. The OSP fiber design engineer is fully responsible and accountable for the final design content and document generation to support the placement of the physical fiber infrastructure supporting Outside and Inside Plant communication facilities.
- Create high level preliminary route design and facility specifics to manage fielding request instructions.
- Support the team by participating in the mentoring of other new design team members.
- Perform design within allocated budgets and time frames.
- Provide design lead with updates on progress and roadblocks.
- Advise the Engineering Lead regarding design progress and roadblocks discovered during the design process.
- Participate in developing process improvement concepts.
Project Execution Responsibilities Include:
- Perform detailed design in GIS based systems.
- Support design via any jurisdiction permits drawings required.
- Understand project milestones. Monitor status of milestones, and provide regular updates.
- Support QC and as built efforts with design changes/updates.
Preferred Job Qualifications:
- Bachelor' s degree in engineering, or experience, that makes the individual uniquely qualified to perform the job responsibilities.
- Related work experience in OSP and/or ISP fiber detailed design & fiber splicing.
- Possess a deep understanding of inside and/or outside plant fiber optic network infrastructure alternatives available.
- Familiar with construction focused on fiber builds.
- Strong interpersonal, analytical and communication skills.
- Flexible and able to think quickly working to resolve design issues and makes decisions.
- Experience in working on multiple projects simultaneously.
- Functions as a technical specialist with minimal supervision.
Preferred Technical Competencies:
- Fiber Network Planning.
- Fiber routing for aerial and underground installations.
- Manhole design including splicing and racking.
- Design of fiber terminals, switches, routers and security.
- Customer equipment room design.
- Equipment testing and verification planning.
- Knowledge of construction & constructability practices & principles.
- Knowledge of GE Smallworld and CAD.