424 Aviation Blvd. Santa Rosa, CA 95403
- Develops and applies advanced hardware design methods, theories and research techniques in the investigation and solution of complex and advanced technical problems.
- Plans, conducts, technically directs and evaluates projects or major phases of significant projects, coordinating the efforts of engineers and technical support staff.
- The following reflects management’ s definition of essential functions for this job, but does not restrict the tasks that may be assigned.
- Management may assign or reassign duties and responsibilities to this job at any time due to reasonable accommodation or other reasons.
- Diagnoses complex performance issues in existing products and makes improvements or modifications to produce desired results.
- Conducts independent technical investigations of considerable complexity to improve system performance or solve difficult system requirements issues.
- Analyzes, develops, and recommends design approaches to meet production requirements for complex systems on new or improved products and/or processes.
- Plans, conducts, and technically directs projects or phases of projects and may coordinate the efforts of technical support personnel as required.
- Interfaces with and evaluates vendor capabilities to provide required products or services.
- Provides technical consultation to other organizations.
- Reviews literature, patents, and current practices relevant to the solution of assigned projects.
- Is a member of the bid and proposal team and helps define system configuration and cost estimation for recurring and non-recurring hours and direct costs.
- Provides concepts of the system using CAD software.
- As program lead ME, meets with the project engineers and other key individuals associated with the project to determine the schedule status and scope of the project.
- Assists in generating the mechanical requirements flow-down
- Works with systems engineering to conduct system level analyses prior to the Preliminary Design Review.
- Develops conceptual designs to be presented internally for a peer review before they are presented at the Preliminary design review.
- Takes into consideration the critical design risks and technical challenges.
- Using FEA or CAE tools, provides detailed analyses of components and/or subsystems in order to meet system requirements.
- These are presented at the Critical Design Review.
- Completes detail design and BOM structure, including selection of off-the-shelf mechanical components as well as custom fabricated parts.
- Researches and selects materials, coordinates vendor outsourcing, and works with design consultants as needed.
- Provides drafting and manufacturing documentation in order to release the design to the production floor.
- For critical subsystems, prepares design verification.
- Designs tooling and the use of test equipment as deemed necessary.
- Supports manufacturing and procurement with engineering change orders.
- Works with Quality department to assess non-conforming material reports.
- BSME (Masters preferred) or equivalent training/experience.
- 12 years of related experience with B.S. Degree; 10 years with M.S. Degree.
- Extensive SolidWorks modeling and drafting experience.
- Advanced knowledge of geometric dimensioning and tolerancing.
- Broad scope product design knowledge.
- Knowledge of manufacturing methods.
- Knowledge of gear train and motor design.
- Understanding of machine design and theory of mechanisms.
- Experienced in thermal design considerations.
- Experience using MS Office software (Word, Excel, PowerPoint), Mathcad, TK Solver, Matlab.
- Finite element analysis using CosmosWorks or ANSYS preferred.
- Advanced materials selection knowledge.
- Knowledge of non-linear finite element (FE) stress modeling.
- Electronics packaging knowledge.
- Advanced skills in shock and vibration analysis, design for fatigue and DEM reviewer.
- Broad mechanical engineering background that balances design, analysis, and hands-on experience developing electro-opto-mechanical assemblies.
- Experience designing and analyzing opto-mechanical systems preferred.
- Experience mounting small (1-2) and large (5-16) reflective and refractive optics preferred.
- Experience analyzing optical stress and strain due to structural, dynamic and thermal loads preferred.
- Experience with precision actuation and positioning of optical assemblies preferred.
- Must be a US Citizen or US Person as defined by ITAR.
- Effective written, verbal and interpersonal communication skills.
- Ability to work effectively with other design disciplines as well as manufacturing to create design solutions that address often-conflicting requirements.
- Must be creative, open-minded, a good communicator, and a good listener.
- Must be able to communicate clearly (written and verbal) to technical and non-technical personnel.
- Ability to write clear technical documentation.
- Ability to logically address, analyze and resolve problems.
- Ability to effectively plan and organize projects and manage priorities.
- Acute attention to detail and deadlines.
- Some repetitive motion activities.
- Visual acuity to operate equipment, read technical information.
- Able to use a computer/keyboard for extended periods of time.
- Able to use office & test equipment and computers/peripherals, in a standard office & computer lab environment.
- May be required to lift/move up to 25 lbs. with assistance.
- Fast paced, schedule driven environment.
- Willing and able to work extended hours when necessary.