Power Studies - (CYME)
35 E. Wacker Drive Suite 800 Chicago, IL 60601 | Direct Placement
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Review and interpret design drawings, specifications, and documents related to project design.
- Create and maintain a matrix of studies and calculations required for projects at the various stages of development, design, and construction.
- Create and maintain a template library of simulation models, calculations, and technical reports associated with all power system studies.
- Provide detailed analyses and recommendations in technical reports to share with internal and external clients based on the studies perfomed.
- Assist engineering team with the validation of BoQ (bill of quantities).
- Analyze complex engineering problems and offer effective and efficient resolutions in a timely manner while working on several projects at once.
- Assist with maintaining and improving existing guidelines and specifications.
- Lead or participate in project meetings and conference calls.
- Assist with value-engineering studies of alternative design approaches.
- Provide internal review of interconnection studies and impact to project design.
- Provide support on meeting the requirements of applicable Federal Energy Regulatory Commission (FERC) and North American Electric Reliability. Corporation (NERC) standards and assist during NERC audit as necessary
- Additional duties as required.
Prepare Simulation Models and Perform Studies for:
- Load flow.
- Reactive power capability at POI to size required reactive compensation to meet LGIA requirement.
- Annual electrical power loss.
- Voltage drop.
- Short circuit.
- Grounding (step & touch) for collection, wind turbine, and substation.
- Ground potential rise.
- AC and DC arc flash.
- Other power system studies as necessary.
Ability to Perform Following Studies is a Plus:
- Fuse and relay coordination.
- Harmonic study.
- Transient recovery voltage.
- Transient over voltage.
- Insulation coordination.
- Grounding transformers sizing.
- Conductor selection for overhead line.
- EMF study.
- Shielding Calculation/Lightning Protection.
- Voltage Flicker.
- Bachelor’ s degree in Electrical Engineering.
- Professional Engineering license is preferred, in any state.
- 5-7 years of power system study experience.
- 5+ years experience working with power systems in voltage range 35kV – 345kV.
- Proficient in performing power system studies using CYME (preferred) or other industry standard software such as ETAP or WinIGS.
- Comprehensive knowledge of distribution systems, transmission systems, medium and high voltage substation electrical equipment, steady state and dynamics modeling of power pools, the interconnection request process, lightning protection, and grounding grids.
- Knowledgeable with applicable industry standards and codes including Institute of Electrical & Electronic Engineers (IEEE), National Electric Safety Code (NESC), National Electric Code (NEC), and ANSI (American National Standards Institute).