Principal FPGA Engineer
706 N. Deerpath Drive Vernon Hills, IL 60061
- Develops digital FPGA logic solutions targeting applications such as system communications/control, data movement and processing, and embedded microprocessors.
- Oversees and participates in the engineering life cycle of FPGA products including requirements, architecture, design, implementation, verification, integration, and debug following appropriate engineering best practices and department processes.
- Guides and supports other FPGA engineers in implementing the architecture as defined, and helps monitor the proper application of best practices and department processes on designs which they are leading.
- Prepares design documentation and participates-in design reviews.
- Participates in project analysis and planning efforts and provides timely status input to engineering management.
- Proactively participates in FPGA department process improvement by taking part in internal discussions, providing experiential input and feedback, and exploring and sharing information about new related industry concepts and tools.
- May develop system architecture concepts and design documentation for complex multi-custom hardware component systems.
- A Bachelor’ s of Science (or above) in Electrical Engineering or Computer Engineering with 8+ years of relevant experience. Or more than 10 years of related experience and/or training, or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Background including:
- Complex digital FPGA architecture and design for embedded systems
- High bandwidth data communications, storage, and manipulation in an FPGA
- Writing and reviewing documentation including requirements, design, verification, and interface guides (e.g. User, Software)
- Hardware/Software integration and lab debug using common equipment including internal FPGA logic analyzer tools (e.g. Vivado Logic Analyzer)
- Working within or leading a small team of developers in a coordinated and efficient manner to deliver high quality and timely product
- Communicating and coordinating across engineering functional teams to achieve project goals
- Supporting and providing input to project planning and management including work breakdown, estimates and task status
- Experience with system requirements analysis and Hardware/FPGA/Software breakdown, and low-level system architecture design preferred
- Proficiency with:
- HDL coding (e.g. VHDL, Verilog, etc.) for FPGA development and simulation
- HDL design and coding best practices for purpose (e.g. resource use, clock-rate, latency)
- FPGA design tools, simulation tools (e.g. Xilinx Vivado, Mentor QuestaSim)
- Source control tools (e.g. Subversion, ClearCase)
- Standard office software (e.g. MS Word, Excel, etc.)
- Is accurate, thorough and monitors own work quality; constantly looking for ways to improve and promote quality
- Quickly adapts to changes in priority, approach or method to best fit the situation; manages competing demands; deals well with delays or unexpected events
- Ability to lead small teams effectively and coordinate their effort
- Effectively presents information to a variety of people, including senior management and peers on project teams; ability to translate complex ideas into easy to understand explanation
- Excellent analytical and problem-solving skills
- Strong communication (verbal, written, listening) and time/task management skills
- Is tactful and professional; treats others with respect and consideration