Principal Systems Engineer
2734 Hickory Grove Road Davenport, IA 52804
Principal Systems Engineer will specialize in requirements management of diverse systems. The successful candidate will have the opportunity to work within the Aircraft Systems Engineering team and a diverse line of Life Support and Aerial Refueling products for defense and commercial aerospace. This position is located in Davenport, Iowa.
- Lead requirements analysis, requirements definition, requirements management, functional analysis, performance analysis, system design, detail trade studies, systems integration and test (verification), validation and interface definition studies of system, subsystem or system elements with little or no supervision
- Lead customer requirements analysis, develops system requirements and defines allocations to lower levels (subsystem, elements and components)
- Leads and/or facilitates Functional Configuration Audits.
- Leads System Requirements Review; provide support for Preliminary Design Reviews, Critical Design Reviews and Test Readiness Reviews.
- Guide the successful completion of major programs and projects
- Proficient with requirements management, system design & system modeling tools
- Recognize various architectural patterns, applies them appropriately, understands strengths/weaknesses within those architectures and develops architectural variations as necessary
- Highly proficient in Microsoft Office applications
- Ability to clearly report information relevant to sound systems engineering design
- Understand and applies project leadership principles including SPI/CPI, Earned Value, Cost Account Management (CAM), and Statistical Process Controls
- Supports Integrated Product Teams in the inception, design & execution of complex engineering projects over the full life cycle of product development.
- Analyzes and documents multi-disciplinary requirements including, but not limited to, mechanical, electro-mechanical, software, safety and reliability.
- Maintains requirements artifacts in requirements database, IBM Rational DOORS
- Identifies, assesses and documents requirements for changes and provides communications of those changes
- Highly effective utilization of IBM Rational DOORS (v 9.6) as a requirements database management tool.
- Coordinates requirements databases with customers and suppliers to ensure synchronization.
- Generates meaningful metrics to ascertain status, stability, maturity and level of compliance of project requirements.
- Performs and/or leads teams in the decomposition, allocation and derivation of requirements and establishes traceability.
- Conducts requirements quality audits and assessments.
- Develops requirements verification matrices and assists in developing verification, validation and qualification plans.
- Manages requirements baselines, performs change impact analysis, tracks customer and internal requirements changes, and implements changes in the database and appropriate specifications.
- Participates in and makes recommendations in system architectural decisions related to organization of interface requirements, specifications, design descriptions, and concepts of operation.
- Identifies and implements improvements to engineering and/or company tools, processes and practices.
- Participates in proposal development: parses statement of work and requirements into standard work breakdown structures and generates estimates for project requirements management function.
- Ensures the logical and systematic conversion of customer or product requirements into total systems solutions.
- ABET accredited BS Degree in an Engineering field.
- 8 years of experience in the aerospace industry.
- 5 years of experience with IBM Rational DOORS.
- This position requires access to technology, materials, software or hardware that is controlled by export laws of the US. In order to be eligible, you must be either a US Citizen or Permanent Resident
- ABET accredited MS Degree in an Engineering field.
- Capability to generate DXL scripts as needed and perform database administration tasks efficiently.
- Experience leading / facilitating cross functional meetings
- Must have strong communication and listening skills
- Articulate and comfortable engaging with a diverse set of stakeholders (in person events and principal systems engineering level) and tailoring a good message
- Strong demonstrated skills with MS Office skills, particularly MS PowerPoint, MS Word, and MS Excel.