Product Development Manager
5890 Jefferson Blvd Unit D Los Angeles, CA 90016
The Product Development Manager (PDM) will lead a team of Product Development Engineers and Project Management Engineers, and be responsible for driving the technical execution of global toys and games portfolios, from concept through production, and ensuring performance, cost, quality, and schedule adherence. The position will provide expertise in proven techniques for successful product development and design for manufacturing/assembly.
The PDM will work closely with large cross-functional teams (Design, Marketing, Engineering, Quality, Packaging, etc.) to manage development throughout the entire product lifecycle. Responsibilities include, but are not limited to, leading technical development of products, defining product specifications, identifying risks and opportunities to preempt development hurdles, providing escalation management, providing professional growth of the team, and working with stakeholders to balance business, design, and technical objectives. The person in this role will be expected to operate in a highly dynamic environment, and consistently drive towards solutions to obtain results.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Collaborate with Design and Brand teams on generating new concepts, and provide technical and cost assessments.
- Assign, direct, and evaluate team’ s work assignments; strategically prioritize workload and adjust resourcing plans as necessary.
- Guide technical and professional development of staff competence.
- Coordinate with cross-functional teams to ensure milestones and deliverables are on-time.
- Anticipate, analyze, and resolve project issues; escalate issues and give recommendations for creative solutions.
- Be key point of contact with Manufacturing Engineering teams (in Asia, Mexico, EU, etc), and ensure alignment on all project details.
- Provide expertise and mentorship regarding DFMA techniques.
- Partner with responsible departments to ensure all projects are delivered on-cost, on-spec, on-time.
- Use MS Project to manage & track key deliverables and proactively resolve future issues to keep the product on track, on cost, and on specification.
- Improve efficiency in the engineering process through continuous improvement.
- Explore new materials, technology, and manufacturing processes.
- Implement process mapping and/or process management to improve efficiencies in development and production.
- 8-10+ years in technical product development and leading teams; toy or CPG experience a plus.
- BS/MS in Mechanical Engineering.
- Ability to provide strong leadership to drive innovative and cost-effective design solutions.
- Experience with plastics, materials, manufacturing, and/or engineering costs for durable goods.
- Experience working with and/or managing creative professionals (designers and engineers) both within and outside the company.
- Strong interpersonal, communication, and presentation skills.
- Demonstrates a " hands-on" team approach to solving problems.
- Ability to prioritize and manage multiple tasks and projects in a fast-paced environment.
- Ability to employ critical thinking and problem solving techniques to approach any/all issues. If unable to resolve certain issues, can demonstrate a willingness to actively engage other support teams to drive towards resolution.
- Strong attention to detail.
- Strong analytical skills.
- Proactive and enthusiastic in approaching challenges, with a solution-oriented mindset and uses mature discretion in approaching situations.
- Ability to travel in North America and internationally.
- Ability to mentor junior engineers, develop talent, and model professionalism.
- Operate with minimal supervision in technical and organizational capacities.
- Ability to take direction and flex execution style based on feedback from teams.
- Familiarity with licensed brands and management of development and processes.