Rancho Santa Margarita, CA 92688-2604 US
Responsible for the technical and business management of a prime program or programs and interaction with the customer and for financial, schedule, and technical performance on his/her assigned program(s). Directs all phases of programs from inception through completion. Direct customer contact and relationships are utilized to ensure Customer contracts achieve Customer Satisfaction for assigned Customers, Products or Region. Requires regular customer interface and then ensuring Operations and departments are aligned for on-time delivery of quality product to the Customer. Works on complex programs where analysis or data requires an in-depth evaluation of various factors that may arise in the development stages. Interacts with customers to find new applications of our products. Participates in the negotiation of contract and contract changes. Coordinates the preparation of proposals, business plans, proposal work statements and specifications, operating budgets and financial terms/conditions of contract. Develops new business opportunities or expands the existing product line with the customer. This individual works with little to no work direction and mentors junior Program Managers.
Primary Role Responsibilities
- Program Profit & Loss (P&L). Accountable for account gross margin performance for assigned accounts.
- Works with Account Management & Sales and Defense OEM Business Unit Manager to help grow accounts.
- Must be able to continuously to seek ways to reduce costs (productivity).
- Overall customer ownership & primary focal for communication (schedule, technical, cost/margin). Responsible for building excellent customer relations and customer satisfaction.
- Establish attainable goals & supporting tactics to achieve business objectives & defines, monitors, controls & executes delivery plans - Timeline, constraints & roadblock elimination.
- Forecasts manpower across engineering and support organizations that are engaged in multiple active programs. Manage internal engineering resource and external as appropriate.
- Ensures that customer, suppliers and management are kept informed of program activities and progress through regular written and or verbal communications, generation of estimates to complete (EAC), meetings and status reports, and by reporting exceptional circumstances immediately.
- Demand assessment & ensure resources are available to meet demand & improves linkage between operations & customers.
- Facilitate customer site visits - Ensure the organization is prepared & customer expectations are met.
- Monitors schedules, issues and communication to ensure satisfactory completion of contract requirements within schedule and budget constraints.
- Identify program/contract risks and manages appropriately. Escalates as appropriate for visibility to the management team.
- Teams with contracts, sales, finance and management to assist in bidding and award negotiations directly with the customer.
- Prepares and present at program reviews the status of schedule, financial, risk mitigation, manpower and other aspects of assigned programs.
- Helps establish program goals and supporting tactics in company business plans. Develops reportable key performance indicators with Program Management staff.
- Confers with the President and Vice-President Levels and other senior staff members to review program targets and discusses required changes in goals or objectives resulting from current status and conditions
- Responsible for assisting in achieving the company’s fiscal year plan & develops and maintains a detailed integrated master schedule.
- Develops and modifies standard operating processes & is comfortable presenting to Senior Leadership on a regular basis.
- Performs related duties and responsibilities as assigned to Program Management role.
- Experience managing customer funded programs and/or internal research and development programs.
- Experience transitioning development programs to market/production.
- Excellent communication skills, including written, verbal and stand-up presentation.
- Ability to read and understand basic financial statements.
- Ability to routinely cadence and report on program financials and administers/monitors contract performance.
- Experience in managing complex software development activities; contracts, negotiations, budgets, and relations
- Knowledge of Manufacturing and Engineering processes and electronic equipment, processes, quality and reliability.
- Working knowledge of MS office products and earned value management (EVM w/strong leadership skills & various activities and issues that face new program efforts.
- Must be able to assess program risk (schedule and financial) w/ability to write proposals, requirements or specifications.
- Competitive character w/history of prior Aerospace & DEFENSE program performance.
- Prior experience in military / defense product development process (MIL-STD-1521B) (SRR/SSR/PDR/CDR/TRR/PRR)
- Schedule/deadline conscious w/decisive decision-making capabilities.
- Prior experience managing HW and SW development w/understanding of SW development process (DO-178B); MS Project experience, understands critical path and task dependencies
- Experience with requirements-based development & process / metrics minded strongly desired.
- Experience w/earned value management tools and or ability to articulate concepts as part of program EAC estimates and presentation.
Education/Previous Experience Requirements
- BS or MS in Engineering or BA or MA in Business Administration, Masters preferred
- A minimum of 5 years of project management experience or equivalent work experience in an Aerospace electronics manufacturing environment
- Prior experience in a cross-functional management structure.
- Project Management Institute (PMI) certification preferred