Poway, CA 92064 US
The Quality Engineer is responsible for evaluating the manufacturing processes to determine root cause and effect of product non-conformities, improve processes to ensure quality products, reduce cycle time and resolve supplier and vendor performance issues resulting in deviations.
- Develop, apply and maintain quality requirements and standards for development and manufacturing products.
- Interact with manufacturing and engineering team(s) to optimize documentation related to quality and inprocess inspection checks.
- Serve as the primary quality assurance resource to Production for problem identification, resolution, loss reporting and continuous improvement.
- Support concurrent engineering efforts by participating in design development projects representing Quality Assurance and the customer.
- Design and implement methods for process control, process improvement, testing and inspection.
- Promote and execute quality standards, inspection processes, test methodology, quality plans, documents and reports.
- Analyze quality performance utilizing using statistical and analytical tools and methods.
- As deemed necessary, review customers purchase orders, contracts and change requests and ensure that the necessary criteria and provisions are included in quality and process plans.
- Develop, execute and analyze quality reporting measures; Report to management on quality issues, trends and losses (scrap/downtime, etc.).
- Work with Purchasing on verifying supplier performance in relation to raw material quality and delivery; initiate programs to enhance supplier performance.
- Participate in internal and external quality audits (as deemed necessary); member of internal audit team.
- Interface with Purchasing, supplier and production personnel concerning supplier problems with quality assurance and assure that effective corrective action is implemented.
- Serve as the quality assurance representative to the Materials Review Board (MRB).
- May compile, write and deliver training material on quality standards and activities.
- Work with in-house and headquarters staff to help qualify new materials and/or products, including certification by third-party organizations such as NSF, USDA or FDA.
- Other duties and responsibilities not included above but related to the position, when assigned.
Knowledge, Skills and Experience Required
- Minimum Education (or substitute experience): Bachelor’s degree in quality, mechanical, or industrial engineering; 5 years in a Quality-related field.
- Minimum Work Experience: Minimum 5 years of proven progressive experience in Quality Assurance, auditing and troubleshooting/investigation.
- Skills Required:
- Knowledge of root cause analysis, corrective and preventive action, analytical problem solving and troubleshooting. Proficiency in Microsoft Office is preferred. Six Sigma, DMAIC, ISO 9001, GD&T, MSA, Equipment Calibration, SPC and FMEA experience a plus.
- Able to clearly communicate both verbally and in writing to all levels of the organization.
- Required to communicate with other departments and key TMUS personnel when necessary.
- Able to self-direct and work independently and in a team-oriented environment.
- Ability to multi-task and prioritize work in order to meet production goals.
- Focused and detail oriented.
- Preferred Education, Experience and/or Skills:
- Minimum 3 years of proven progressive experience in Quality Assurance, auditing and troubleshooting/ investigation.
- Strong oral and written communication skills.
- Strong visual acuity and the ability to judge slight variation in product.
- Experience designing, developing and maintaining the technical side of the quality function.
- Ability to determine root cause analysis of quality issues surfacing in a product manufacturing environment.
- Other (Licenses, Certificates, Degrees or Credentials):
- A member of a recognized quality institute is preferred, but not required.
- ASQ Certified Quality Engineer is preferred, but not required.
Physical Job Description
- Typical Working Conditions. Describe environment including exposure to heat, cold, fumes, chemicals, allergens, mold, etc.:
- Typical office environment (AC and heat at times).
- Production floor with and without a temperature-controlled environment.
- Equipment Used. List all manual and automated equipment used in the course of performing essential functions:
- Dimensional metrology equipment
- Essential Physical Tasks.
- Occasionally lifting an element weighing up to 45 pounds repeatedly for the duration of an 8- hour shift.
- Occasionally Lifting raw materials up to 50 lbs. repeatedly for the duration of an 8-hour shift.
Salary Range: $73,000 - $75,000