Sr. Quality Engineer
2980 N. San Fernando Blvd Burbank, CA 91504-2566
Responsible for implementing the quality requirements of Mil-Q-9858A on projects within the aerospace industry. Thorough knowledge of the current standards accepted by government and industry for specification requirements for precision metal products. Extensive knowledge of inspection and quality control practice prevailing throughout industry and of applicable company policies and standards. Wide knowledge of technical terminology. Ability to communicate clearly and concisely in technical writing. Ability to investigate technical problems methodically and to evaluate them objectively.
Plan and present to management any required procedure, method, tool, etc. that will enhance the quality of the product being manufactured by reducing cost, increasing efficiency and effectiveness, etc.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES: Include the following and all other duties as may be assigned. Individuals must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily.
- Review all customer imposed quality documents to determine applicability to specific Stainless Steel operations, and assess compliance. Independently decide and approve or direct corrections as necessary.
- Review Stainless Steel documents relating to quality to assure compliance with customer specifications and contractual requirements.
- Evaluate corrective action taken, as requested by customer, is conclusive.
- Maintain a standard procedure (Quality Manual to encompass all of company’ s customer’ s quality requirements).
- Direct the re-inspection, rework, modification or usage of tooling when necessary.
- Review vendor records and rate the quality performance. Approve or disapprove vendors based on past performance.
- Interface with customers to maintain a stable working relationship, and MRB activities.
- Generate lesson plans and participate in the training of inspection personnel, when required.
- Review shop planning for adequate inspection points incorporation into the manufacturing processes.
- Verify (via inspection functions) the customer receives a product of the quality requirement per Purchase Order, B/P, Spec’ s, etc.
- Maintain a Cost of Quality, identified by Prevention, Appraisal, Failure, and adjust as required.
- Justify all costs (labor, equipment, etc.) are minimum and required.
- Monitor the Scrap and Rework cost, identifying responsibilities, repetitiveness, etc., and requiring corrective actions.
Supervisory Responsibilities: This job does not require supervisory responsibilities.
Qualifications: To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required.
Education and Experience:
BS Degree in engineering or another technical field required. Must possess 10 + years of quality control experience.
Must have at least 7 years of diversified and progressively responsible experience in quality control of precision-machined parts, which must have covered in process, finished products, tools and gages, and laboratory tests of both metals and specialized alloys.
Comprehensive knowledge of up-to-date inspection and control methods in the metal
Industry; and analytical mind with the ability to understand, modify and interpret, complex technical information and to draw valid conclusions, Extreme conscientiousness; ability to work under pressure.
Language Skills: Ability to read, analyze, and interpret general business periodicals, professional journals, technical procedures, or governmental regulations. Ability to write reports, business correspondence, and procedure manuals. Ability to effectively present information and respond to questions from groups of managers, clients, customers, and the general public.
Mathematical Skills: Ability to calculate figures and amounts such as discounts, interest, commissions, proportions, percentages, area, circumference, and volume. Ability to apply concepts of basic algebra and geometry.
Reasoning Ability: Ability to solve practical problems and deal with a variety of concrete variables in situations where only limited standardization exists. Ability to interpret a variety of instructions furnished in written, oral, diagram, or schedule form.
Computer Skills: To perform this job successfully, an individual should have knowledge of MAPICS manufacturing software; MS Excel spreadsheet software, MS Word, and Word Processing software.
Other Qualifications: To perform the job successfully, an individual must have prior experience in Quality Systems Administration; experienced in Quality system auditing and customer audits; have through knowledge of quality procedures; and prior experience in data analysis (Cost of Quality, Nonconformance Trends, Scrap and Rework reports and charts, supplier performance evaluations and trends).