Senior Firmware Engineer
Costa Mesa, CA 92626 US
The Senior Firmware Engineer to work full time, fully onsite, in Costa Mesa, California to do design for electrochemical and laser based industrial analyzers – completing embedded firmware for new 32-bit ARM designs as well as perform feature enhancements and maintenance of existing 8-bit PIC products. This is a small engineering team hyper focused on new product development while also supporting the ongoing needs of existing product lines manufactured in the same building: including product feature enhancements, bug fixes and design for manufacturability, and test fixturing design and support.
This role is perfect for a hands-on firmware engineer who has personally completed multiple embedded projects from concept through production release and supports all phases of design from requirements and concept, initial board bring up and debug and development, and validation. The team is small enough that the Senior Firmware Engineer has considerable freedom to establish the company’s design philosophy and develop unique and innovative solutions.
The Candidate will:
Have at least 4-year EE degree or equivalent, 5+ years previous experience who has personally completed multiple embedded projects from concept through production release with Firmware debug and development in C for ARM targets. Education requirement may be waived if suitable expertise is demonstrated. Candidate must demonstrate previous successfully projects in which they played a significant/primary role in firmware.
- Firmware written in C
- Capable of firmware design as a sole developer
- Support and migrate 8-bit based products like Microchip PIC16F and PIC18F and port to newer microcontrollers as designs are renewed
- Develop from scratch bare metal 32-bit based products like Microchip ARM Cortex-M4 Atmel SAM4L, SAM4E and Cortex-M7 SAME70
- Develop / Integrate device drivers to external components connected over I2C, SPI, ADC, DAC, Digital I/O, PWM, USB, RS485
- Expert at board bring ups and troubleshoot/debugging using tools such as JTAG, debuggers, trace tools, oscilloscope, protocol analyzer
- Interface to device HMI LCDs and keypads
- Incorporate customer digital modes like modbus and serial.
- Implement host/slave protocols for multiple MCU based systems
- Implement and tune control loops like PI and PID
- Implement digital filters and signal processing
- Familiar with compiler optimization, debug options and production image deployment.
- Support and develop new algorithms for sensor measurement, tuning and calibration.
- Disciplined development and with source control.
- Support software development like C# (.NET) for interface programs and production automation.