Senior Mechanical Engineer - HVAC (Building Systems)
West Palm Beach, FL 33470 US
Title/Type: Senior Mechanical Engineer - HVAC
Type: Direct, Full Time
Location: West Palm Beach, FL
Salary: Exempt; Bonuses: Annual
Work Schedule: Hybrid, Flex Work Schedule (No Remote Options)
Group: Building Services
Report To: Senior Director of Building Services Group
Direct Reports to This Position: None
Interview Process: Phone/Virtual/Onsite
Industry Requirements: Commercial, Institutional, Industrial, Municipal and Residential
General Description of Position:
- Mechanical engineering design for commercial, institutional, industrial, municipal and residential HVAC and plumbing projects.
- The candidate shall have expertise in HVAC design, plumbing system design, energy efficiency retrofits and energy management systems, and be able to innovatively solve complex problems as well as manage people, processes and projects.
- We are looking for someone who can coach, teach and mentor other engineers.
- Candidate will be responsible for designing projects, preparing reports and specifications, and providing a very high level of technical leadership.
- The position requires the candidate to develop and manage HVAC/Plumbing projects from initial design, permitting, preparation of bid documentation, and budgeting to providing contract administration services during construction and the commissioning phases.
- Perform a substantive role in the design, preparation of specifications, administration functions or field engineering related to assigned engineering projects under the supervision of the incumbent’s immediate supervisor or other designated professional engineer.
- The incumbent must be competent to operate various design software tools required for performing the design and engineering tasks associated with assignments.
- The incumbent must also possess an understanding of both basic and complex issues associated with developing construction documentation for the assigned project.
1. Design of engineered systems of the largest size and highest complexity. Activities shall include, but not be limited to, the following:
- Performing HVAC load calculations, sizing and specifying equipment, ductwork and piping layout, system design, system layout, field investigation, and construction administration and performing life cycle cost analysis of HVAC and plumbing systems for various project types.
- Providing consulting services, including preparation reports and feasibility studies.
- Producing drawings consistent with client requirements and standards.
- Establishing design standards, specifications, and criteria for projects.
- Conducting business development activities, participating in various trade organizations, and preparing presentations.
- Preparation of superior quality mechanical construction documents including drawings, specifications, and reports. Perform quality work that promotes client retention.
- Performing site survey of existing system conditions for interface of new designs with existing mechanical and plumbing systems.
- Review mechanical documents for areas of conflict with all building systems.
- Close coordination with the client and the entire design team, including owners, architects, contractors, members of other disciplines, and internal support staff to ensure:
- The design is consistent with the client’s vision/standards.
- A fully coordinated interdisciplinary design.
- The design schedule is maintained.
- Play an active role in project meetings with clients and colleagues.
- Provide mentoring and guidance for colleagues.
- Travel required at times; based on job (status, progress, etc.) & employees’ willingness to travel.
- Preliminary design and budgetary estimate.
- Detailed design and estimates.
- Equipment specification, proposal evaluation and requisitioning.
- Engineering calculations to assure safety and performance of equipment and systems.
- Acquisition of on-site measurements and other data to accomplish the design or to monitor and evaluate plant performance.
- Coordinating equipment delivery and design engineering to meet construction schedules.
- Checking completed job for adequacy of design and documentation.
2. Monitor the project construction activities to ensure compliance with plans and specifications.
Activities may include, but not be limited to, the following:
- Act as Resident Engineer on projects of any magnitude.
- Interpret complex plans and specifications and apply available information to ensure that all project design requirements are satisfied.
- Maintain familiarity with appropriate engineering and construction codes and ensure compliance with all codes.
- Prepare and/or monitor complex construction schedules to ensure timely completion of the work.
- Institute and direct changes to the work when required by differing site conditions.
- Conduct on-site design or investigation work to ensure adequacy of contractors’ methods.
- Receive, evaluate, and approve contractor’s invoices.
- Receive and inspect equipment to be installed on the project and approve for payment.
4. Prepare reports and feasibility studies for submission to management.
5. Serve as project engineer or project manager on assigned projects.
6. Promote efficient flow of information and ensure complete and accurate record keeping.
7. Be familiar with the Client/Company’s drawing system and design and construction
standards as well as applicable industry codes and practices.
8. Shall keep informed of current developments in the area of responsibility.
9. May assist in the professional development, training, and evaluation of department personnel.
10. Perform other department duties as required.
11. Work independently based on general instructions, directions or objectives received from Project Manager or Supervisor.
12. Provide direct supervision to staff designers, CADD technicians, and field personnel.
13. Must possess good technical and engineering design/planning skills, computer and financial/project management skills.
14. Participates in marketing to clients and of projects and identifying new and maintaining existing client relationships.
15. Prepare and review written reports that explain the purpose, methodology, data requirements, recommendations and observations of power system engineering studies.
16. Ability to analyze results and develop conclusions on problems being studied.
17. Maintains a program of personal study to expand and improve technical and analytical
18. Keep supervision informed of status of all projects relative to pre-established expectations.
19. Ability to work independently and with others while maintaining a high level of initiative and self-motivation.
20. Act as Resident Engineer on projects of any magnitude.
21. Interpret complex plans and specifications and apply available information to ensure that
all project design requirements are satisfied.
22. Maintain familiarity with appropriate engineering and construction codes and ensure compliance with all codes.
23. Prepare and/or monitor complex construction schedules to ensure timely completion of the work.
24. Conduct on-site design or investigation work to ensure adequacy of contractor’s methods.
- Self-starter and outgoing personality traits
- Demonstrated leadership skills
- Ability to take direction and act independently
- Strong communications and organization skills
- Ability to manage multiple priorities and stay organized while doing so
- Bachelor of Science in Mechanical Engineering in related field from an accredited university. Mechanical Professional Engineer’s license desired (State of Florida).
- 8 - 10 years of experience in engineering of related projects.
- Strong understanding and knowledge of industry and national codes and standards including but not limited to Florida Building Code, National Plumbing Code, SMACNA and ASHRAE.
- Experience with system design software, CADD and Microsoft Office products required. Strong analytical and management skills.
- Willingness to travel for site surveys, project scope walks and meetings.