3900 Main St 4th Floor - Public Utilities - Electric Riverside, CA 92522 | Contract
Receives general supervision from a Principal Planner or higher level management staff, as assigned. Exercises close to general supervision over professional, para-professional, technical, and clerical staff, as assigned.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Reviews and processes comprehensive plan amendments, re-zonings, annexations, site plans and development applications associated with a project.
- Prepares and/or supervises the preparation of environmental assessments and staff reports related to legislative applications and land use entitlements requiring discretionary approval.
- Makes recommendations on development permits and presents them to the Development Review Committee, Planning Commission, and City Council.
- Review construction and grading plans for compliance with the City' s Municipal Code and, if applicable, project specific conditions of approval.
- Conducts research and prepares statistical reports on land use, social, and economic issues.
- Supervises and provides guidance to junior level planners on the review of development entitlements.
- Supervises and participates in special planning, zoning, and environmental studies.
- Monitors state and federal legislation for changes to planning, environmental, and transportation laws.
- Develops requests for proposals; manages consultant contracts associated with assigned planning projects; develops work programs and methodologies; oversees consultants' budgets; and establishes project schedules.
- Reviews and comments on planning proposals of outside jurisdictions that may impact the City.
- Advises and assists City and management officials on community planning issues and problems, pending cases, and application of established City policies and ordinances.
- Coordinates planning and development activities with other City departments and outside entities.
- Meets and advises developers, residents, business and property owners regarding development applications and processes.
- Represents the Community & Economic Development Department at public meetings and works with various groups and individuals regarding a variety of planning and zoning matters.
- Coordinates planning related activities with other City departments, divisions, and with outside agencies.
- May supervise, train and evaluate professional, para-professional, technical and clerical personnel.
- Performs field inspections to gather data relevant to the development applications and to verify compliance with approved plans.
- May attend evening and weekend meetings.
- May act as Principal Planner in his/her absence.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Principles, practices, and techniques of planning.
- Laws related to general plans, housing, California Environmental Quality Act, zoning, and land divisions.
- Recent developments, current literature, and informational sources in the field of planning and zoning.
- Written and verbal communication practices and techniques, including staff report writing.
- Personal computer operation and software applications.
- Interpret planning and zoning matters to the general public.
- Analyze and systematically compile technical and statistical information.
- Plan and prepare comprehensive, clear, and concise reports with sound recommendations.
- Communicate clearly and concisely, orally and in writing.
- Develop work procedures.
- Supervise, train, and evaluate professional, para-professional, technical, and clerical staff.
- Manage multiple projects and issues effectively and meet firm deadlines.
- Establish and maintain relationships with internal and external contacts.
- Think analytically and critically to provide reasoned and creative solutions to complex problems.
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships with all levels of staff and customers.
- Operate a personal computer and relevant software programs.
- Master' s degree from an accredited college or university with major coursework in planning or a closely related field.
- Three years of professional planning experience.
- Equivalent to a bachelor' s degree from an accredited college or university with major coursework in planning or a closely related field.
- Four years of professional planning experience.
- Principal Planner or higher lead management staff, as assigned.