Senior Quality Engineer
2175 Union Place Simi Valley, CA 93065
PEAK’ s client (> 2 Billion dollars revenue/ yr.) is looking for a Senior Supplier Quality Engineer.
They specialize in Manufacturing Mechanical parts for the Aerospace/ Defense Marketplace, including high performance spherical and cylindrical bearings, mechanical seals, gears and electrical components to commercial air transport markets. These products are engineered to meet stringent requirements and are specified in engine systems, flight control systems, landing gear systems and airframe structures. The global customer base includes major engine and airframe OEMs, tier suppliers and aircraft operators.
Support Manufacturing, Manufacturing Engineering, and Purchasing Departments in Quality related Issues, drive continuous improvement initiatives throughout the manufacturing and inspection processes both at PSI Bearings and at our suppliers. Responsible for implementation and analysis of technical products, processes, and systems. May develop a range of processes and recommends alterations to improve quality of products and/or processes. Familiar with a variety of the field' s concepts, practices, and procedures. Relies on experience and judgment to plan and accomplish goals. Performs a variety of complicated tasks. A wide degree of creativity and latitude is expected. Works with minimum supervision, conferring with superior on unusual matters. May be assisted by Entry/Junior or Intermediate Level personnel. Assignments are broad in nature, requiring originality and ingenuity. Has appreciable latitude for unreviewed action or decision.
- AS9100 Rev D and ISO 10012 – Strong understanding and ability to apply specified requirements in a cost-effective approach.
- Reviewing New Product Launch customer specifications to flow down new requirements to all functions and ensure in establishing compliance to customer requirements
- Reviewing Customer Po’ s to identify requirements and flow down new customer requirements to all functions.
- Ability in navigating in customer portals.
- Ability to communicate with customer and suppliers to resolve processes gap.
- Ability to collect, compile and analyze data (using the appropriate six sigma methods and techniques); to determine both the actual root causes of identified problems and required corrective (preventive) actions to prevent recurrence.
- Able to affect internal and external PPM (scrap and rework) reduction and OTD improvements both internally and at our suppliers (machining and special processing).
- Knowledge of dimensional inspection measurement systems and their application for the inspection of complex products – full understanding of ASME Y14.5 (GD&T).
- Implementing Control Plans and/ or SPC to reduce inspection processes.
- Performing PPAP’ s (Production part approval process).
- Performing process capabilities analysis on key characteristics
- Aid in the process of coordinating source inspection
- Review and approve of customer and internal First Article inspections (AS9102)
- Performing internal audit activities including but not limited to quality management systems, purchasing, contract review process, and manufacturing.
- Drive trend improvements on the internal and external Quality in support of strategic business objectives.
- Act as a liaison for the production areas on matters related to contract review process and first article inspection
- Identifying GE SSL (Source Substantiation List) and submitting GE SSP (Significant Process Substantiation).
- Performing internal and customer corrective actions.
- Bachelor’ s degree, preferably in Mechanical, Manufacturing or Industrial Engineering.
- Minimum of 10 years Quality Engineering experience w/ 5 years’ experience directing Quality Engineering activities in an aerospace manufacturing (machine shop) environment.
- In-depth working knowledge of Six Sigma with the ability to effectively apply recognized methods and techniques in a manufacturing environment (Green Belt or higher).
- Ability to promote and foster a Continuous Improvement culture both internally and with our supplier’ s (machining and special processing).
- Strong understanding of contract review process and First Article Inspections.
- Effective communicator – strong written and verbal communication skills.
- Strong understanding of DMAIC, FMEA, PPAP, Statistical Process Control (SPC), Gage R&R Studies and lean systems.
- Effectively apply appropriate problem-solving and continuous improvement techniques.
- Ability to determine the appropriate dispositions for nonconforming product; function as quality representative at both Preliminary Review (PR) and MRB levels.
- Internal quality audits – participate in both Internal Quality Management System (QMS) audits and customer audits (product and system).
- General understanding of metallurgy; ability to understand the physical and mechanical properties of metals as affected by composition, mechanical working and heat treatments.
- General understanding of subcontracted special processes (NDT, heat treating, shot peening, plating and surface treatments).
- Strong understanding of AS9100 Rev. D.
- Ability to create and process GE SPS (Significant Process Substantiation)
- Will train and mentor lower level engineers.
- Membership in ASQ – American Society for Quality
- Proficiency in Minitab and excel