Software Design Engineer
2985 Scott St Vista, CA
This position is located with the Security and Transportation Technology (ST&T) Software Engineering Group. This individual will be a contributing member of the Software Engineering team providing support for IT related issues as well as software product development activities.
This individual’ s primary focus will be on proactively identifying, troubleshooting, and resolving IT/SysAdmin related issues (as they arise) as related to computers in our products, at our customer sites, and for our software development workstations and servers.
Responsibilities will include devops system administration and tool support as needed for the usage of software development tools and resources such as Microsoft Team Foundation Server (TFS), our custom Algorithm Development server farm, build scripts, software configuration management tools, operating system installs, TCP/UDP networking, etc. In addition this individual will have the responsibility of understanding and implementing IT/Sys Admin related requirements for the computers/operating systems in our products such as implementing scripts enabling customer required security lock down procedures, security hardening, group polices, etc. and troubleshooting related issues.
- They will also be required to assist in the qualification of new computers when called upon (validating new laptops to resolve computer platform obsolescence), acquiring and configuring hardware device drivers, etc.
- This individual will be expected to assume a devops leadership role including upgrading/migrating software development tools (such as TFS) and environments (such as product test/simulation environments and build servers) to newer versions or to new platforms such as a Cloud environment.
- Instructing and collaborating with the Software Engineers to insure that such transitions are seamless, productive, and efficient.
- Must have extensive knowledge and experience setting up and troubleshooting Windows 10, Windows Server, Windows drivers and peripherals, TCP & UDP Networks, Hyper-V (preferred) or other virtualization technology.
- TFS/Azure Devops, SQL Server, RabbitMQ, Git, NuGet, Cloud environments, Docker, Kubernetes, Active Directory, and designing, documenting, implementing, and troubleshooting networks including fiber, switches (layer-2 & layer-3), firewalls, and routers.
- Secondarily it is desired that this individual will also be able to contribute with the design and implementation of software development activities.
- This is an excellent opportunity for individuals with the skills, expertise, and experience related to IT support role (as listed above) who also possess a passion and desire to participate in software development activities.
- In the software development activities they will work as part of a cross-functional team to develop and maintain cargo inspection and avionic detection systems for the Security and Transportation Technology business unit.
- Their role will be to design, develop, test, and maintain Windows client-server and at times embedded applications using C# and C++.
- They will develop software following the company' s Agile processes and coding standards for new and existing products. Interact with Electrical Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, and Scientists to develop systems that are consistent with customer requirements. Utilize object oriented design principals, practices, and patterns to ensure our code base is reusable and maintainable.
- Use TDD to ensure the code base is tested and to enable refactoring in the future. Report project status and issues to management as required.
- A programming background with at least 1-2 years of production product development experience in ‘ C’, ‘ C”++, C#, or Java, and at least 1-2 years of overall programming experience.
- Knowledge of object oriented design skills (OOD). Experience and/or open to using Agile methodologies and practices.
- Able to create design documentation, requirements specifications, and other technical documentation. Familiar with troubleshooting/bug fixing skills.
- They must be able to work and communicate proactively and effectively in a small cross-functional development team environment.
- Travel: Must be willing to travel abroad. If travel is necessary, typically will be less than 5%. Location: Office is located in Vista, CA.
- Local candidates are preferred.
- Relocation assistance is not available for this position.
Responsibilities will include (but not limited to):
- Identify, Diagnose, and resolve IT related issues for the SS&T Software Engineering Group users of the network, personal computer, servers, and software tools. In some cases this will require that additional support is requested and coordinated with the IT support organization. Resolve networking related issues as they arise.
- Provide administration and software tool support for various tools used within engineering included but not limited to TFS, PDM, Sharepoint, Costpoint, etc. In some cases this may require contacting vendors of these tools such as Microsoft.
- Timely repair of PC and server computer equipment, operating systems, and software.
- Become intimately familiar and insure compliance with customer IT related product requirements as related to computer lock-down, etc.
- Assist functional groups as needed for continuous improvement activities such as the migration to newer versions of TFS and/or SharePoint. In some cases this will require the generation of scripts and/or generation of additional software tools.
- Assist in the configuration and ordering of new computer equipment.
- Ability to work independently and in a team environment.
- Ability to communicate well with internal and external contacts.