Sr. Civil / Mechanical Designer
3570 Carmel Mountain Road Suite 300 San Diego, CA 92130
Our client’ s Water Infrastructure Group is seeking a highly motivated, detail oriented, self-starter to join their San Diego group as a Senior Civil/Mechanical Designer. The Senior Civil/Mechanical Designer will support engineering planning and design projects for water and wastewater clients in the greater San Diego County area, including designing facilities and preparing plans related to water, wastewater, and storm water infrastructure, which may be comprised of water transmission and distribution systems, sewage or storm water collection systems, pump stations, reservoirs, hydraulic structures, and water/wastewater treatment facilities.
Expected Duties & Responsibilities:
- Develops facility designs and detailed drawings using computer based design CAD programs, including: AutoCAD Civil 3D required, MicroStation preferred.
- Work in a collaborative environment supported by ProjectWise software.
- Develops conceptual, preliminary, and/or final design drawings for facilities related to water, sewer, and site civil infrastructure projects.
- Prepares conceptual, preliminary, and/or detailed civil and mechanical layout designs, including plan, profile, and section drawings.
- Performs pipeline, reservoir, and other hydraulic structures design, including the development of detailed design drawings.
- Performs pump station and pumping systems mechanical design, including the development of layouts, plan, details, and section drawings.
- Utilizes base maps, survey files, and topographic maps, to prepare site plans, exhibits, figures, and detailed plan sets for construction contracts.
- Participates on projects involving construction activities, reviews shop drawings for conformance with design requirements including specifications; assists in generating progress reports; observes field conditions and construction procedures as needed to identify and resolve design questions or utility conflicts.
- Prepares material quantity take-off and estimates using computer generated quantity take-off estimates, including 3-dimensional quantities like excavation and grading.
- Coordinates work with engineers and other professionals within and outside own company and discipline.
- Performs field visits, and observations of construction when appropriate.
- Maintain communications with team members, clients, subs, and others involved with the project.
- Support quality control, maintain quality standards in work produced, and implement internal and client based review comments.
- Performs such other duties as the supervisor may from time to time deem necessary.
- Uphold business ethics and professional standards of conduct.
- Project management type skills and/or client contact experience is a plus and may including any combination of the following:
- Support development of project scopes, schedules, and budgets.
- Monitor project production for compliance with schedule, budget and quality objectives.
- Support business development activities from identification of opportunities to supporting preparing proposals.
- Be or become a member of local professional organizations, and occasionally attend professional meetings in support of business development activities.
Education & Experience:
- Bachelor' s degree in Engineering, Architecture or equivalent technical discipline plus ten years' experience
- The potential candidate has greater than 20 years of experience with water facilities, pipeline, and infrastructure design using CAD design tools.
- Candidate must have a high level of competency in AutoCAD Civil 3D and experience with MicroStation is a plus.
- Additionally, the applicant should be familiar with and have experience with a combination of the following skills:
- Excellent interpersonal skills and strong communications skills.
- Experience and familiarity with the following is preferred: surveying, Autodesk Civil 3D, MicroStation and piping systems design.
- General competencies expected of all Professionals are as follows: Client Service, Commitment, Communication, Innovation & Continuous Improvement, Professionalism, Quality, and Teamwork.
- Ability to process paper/electronic documents and utilize computer equipment; ability to communicate clearly both orally and in writing; ability to visit project sites.