Sr. Fire Protection Engineer
2600 Michelson Dr Suite 500 Irvine, CA 92612
Our Fire Protection Engineers have exceptional design and analytical skills to plan and design fire protection (sprinkler & alarm) systems for buildings and facilities, including: Federal and military programs, airports, data centers, hospitals, laboratories, educational facilities, and commercial buildings.
Candidates must be able to apply intensive and diversified knowledge of fire protection engineering principles and practices to prepare construction drawings and specifications for submission to jurisdictional plan check and permitting.
This role provides fire protection engineering consulting services, including fire sprinkler, fire suppression, fire detection and alarm, and mass notification systems design for new and existing facilities including aircraft hangars and airports, office buildings, higher education facilities, dormitories, federal facilities, hospitals, laboratories, museums, warehouses, and more.
Candidates must be able to lead teams of other engineers and designers in the production of fire protection, alarm, and mass notification contract documents.
Candidates must be able to provide direction and coordination with in-house architectural staff for life safety, building, and fire code compliance.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
Responsibilities also include occasional on-site project observations and reviews, flow test witnessing, and overseeing other personnel assigned to this responsibility.
- Design complete fire suppression, fire alarm, and life-safety drawings and specs.
- Perform calculations for sprinkler and alarm systems.
- Prepare detailed design drawings and specifications.
- Prepare Basis of Design reports.
- Select equipment and edit specifications.
- Conduct field surveys and develop as-built drawings.
- Manage work with engineers of other disciplines and architects.
- Lead meetings and communicate with clients to establish their needs and discuss design issues.
- Manage quality and schedule of work and interface with clients.
- BS degree in Mechanical Engineering, Fire Protection Engineering, or Fire Protection Engineering Technology is required.
- PE registration in any US State is required.
- Minimum 7-10 years technical experience in a technical fire protection design or consulting role involving fire protection systems is required.
- Experience in fire sprinkler, suppression, and fire alarm system layout utilizing hydraulic calculation programs, and knowledge of NFPA Codes, and International Building and Fire Codes is required.
- Demonstrated experience in ability to lead projects and manage resources is required.
- Approximately 10-20% travel may be required.
- Proficiency in AutoCAD or Revit is preferred and experience with Triforma is a plus.
- Experience working on military bases, federal buildings, airports, data centers, and related buildings structures preferred.
- Knowledge of building codes and the federal Unified Facilities Codes (UFCs) required.
- US Citizenship preferred.