Sr. Mechanical Engineer
16323 Shoemaker Ave. Cerritos, California 90703 | Direct Placement
This is a key senior position on the project/design team developing high precision rotating subsurface compressor systems (SCS) for gas wells.
In this position you will execute the design for designated projects from inception through the specification, design, fabrication, validation and testing, while taking advantage of the expertise of the engineering team from a design technical perspective.
The ideal candidate should have a technical background with capability and desire to be the mechanical engineering lead for new development as well as developing and implementing new technologies and approaches to address the application needs.
Candidate will possess genuine leadership skills, willingness to listen to others, and a strong foundation of collaborating with electrical engineers and technologists to develop complex machinery.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
• Application of engineering principles and established engineering norms to design
• Technical analysis in all areas of mechanical design and packaging of electrical rotating machinery – thermal, mechanical, stress, structural
• Conceptualization of new designs based on existing proven designs and innovations
• Assistance to design group in SolidWorks on assigned projects/ systems engineering • Technical oversight and review of the design, both internal and external reviews
• Design contribution to the core engineering team in areas of expertise
• Technical risk identification, mitigation plans as well as development and execution of alternate paths in the design
• Tooling design and fabrication
• Tolerance and stack-up analysis
• Evaluate products, parts, or processes for cost efficiency and reliability
• Ensure timely completion of project design deliverables, including design, drawings, analysis and other documentation, as required.
• Oversee the work of other design engineers and mechanical engineers; coordinate with other members of the engineering staff to support project efforts
• Mentor and develop young engineers as assigned from time to time
Skills, Experience, Education, and Abilities:
• BS Mechanical Engineering
• MS Mechanical Engineering preferred.
• Minimum 10 years industrial experience; last 5 years in rotary machine design and fabrication
• Fluent in Mechanical design tools – SolidWorks
• Structural and thermal analysis and modeling
• Ability to lead highly motivated, dynamic, and skilled engineers
• Design of rotating machinery
• Experience with high speed machines/ and permanent magnet motors or axial compressor/blower aerodynamics a plus
• System integration experience specifically with electro-mechanical systems, bearings and seals a plus.
• Some project management or coordination experience
• Experience with downhole equipment for either gas or oil field applications a plus
• Strong written, oral and interpersonal communication skills
• Must have highly perceptive listening skills and be open to ideas of others Intangibles Sought:
• Must be self-motivated and an independent worker