Sr. Systems Engineer
Monrovia, CA 91016 US
The Senior Systems Engineer will have a proven background in automation control and systems development and design. The Senior Systems Engineer is an experienced mechanical engineering designer with a proven record of delivering robust automation systems to customers.
- Pre-sale conceptual design, schedule, and cost estimation of semi-automated industrial processing workstations
- Detailed design of tooling, fixtures, layout of motion control components and other peripherals, electromechanical packaging
- Conduct acceptance testing leading to customer sign-off on selected projects Project management role for selected projects from purchase order to shipment. Assume primary responsibility for successful completion of assigned projects.
- Oversee construction and maintenance of design file and user documentation for complete system
- Prepare engineering input for product release and support by other departments
- Pre-booking conceptual design includes: mechanical layout of workstation, motion control components, and tooling; and with assistance from others, block diagram of electronic controls; flowchart of overall man-machine interaction and machine functions. Cost estimation includes estimation of NRE, RE, and direct material for custom portions; discussion with Production manager for estimation of assembly and test labor for custom portions.
- Project schedule development using critical path method exemplar covering all tasks from PO to shipment including those for which others are responsible for performing. Represent the company in a professional manner to the customers, vendors, and other people and organizations outside the company.
- Post-booking activities include: detailed design and documentation for custom portions of specific projects, re-using existing hardware and software subassemblies as much as possible to minimize engineering content of complete delivered system; provide written, testable specifications for new hardware and software components and assemblies, suitable for purchasing, production test, QA, and re-use in a commercial custom equipment environment. Provide consistent documentation package based on exemplar for design file, user manual, post-sale support, and transfer to standard product development team.
- Coordinate acceptance test requirements, sample materials, laser application, machine readiness, customer visit schedule, and lab resources for acceptance tests. Manage acceptance test and handle all exceptions necessary to secure customer sign-off.
- Project management includes establishment of the project team and reporting structure; setting and meeting customer’s and company’s expectations for main project parameters (cost, schedule, performance, and deliverables) from proposal to completion of acceptance testing; periodic communication of status of project expectations and potential changes in scope through reporting structure; coordinate activities of all participants in a matrixed environment as necessary to meet project commitments.
- Specify design verification test requirements, and conduct, review and approve the results of such tests.
- Prepare and conduct audience-appropriate design reviews to customer, engineering and management personnel
- Provide technical supervision to designers and assembly technicians assigned to project.
- Work in a team environment with other engineers, production, QA, test, materials control, contract management, and sales personnel
- Further day to day coordination with Production Manager, Applications Manager, Systems Engineering Services support engineers, and Sales Manager as needed in Project Management role
- Current-business-driven work cycles: Pre-booking: one week turnaround on concept sketches and estimation. Post-booking: PO to shipment typically 12 weeks
- Design and documentation tools include SolidWorks, AutoCAD, Visio, MS Office Suite plus Project.
- Engineering, documentation, machine shop, assembly, test, and applications lab resources are matrixed over multiple projects.
- Will be responsible for concurrent projects
- Report on progress, demonstrations, and changes
- Provide detailed documentation for engineering release
Education, Experience & Other Qualifications:
- Four-year degree in Engineering
- Three years+ experience in designing or specifying tooling, fixtures, layout of motion control components and other peripherals, electromechanical packaging as found in industrial automation systems (preferred software tool, SolidWorks)
- Attention to detail and being flexible to handle multiple tasks independently.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Exceptional organization and time management skills.
- Proven ability to meet deadlines while performing task accurately.
- Self-motivated with a strong sense of ownership in all areas of responsibility.
- Punctual and dependable attendance.
- Understands Company's basic philosophy and participates fully in carrying out its mission.
- Formal project management training and experience
- Communicate well orally and in writing with customers and others with whom he/she works with within and outside the Engineering department.
- Able to prepare and deliver professional technical and educational presentations Work experience using SolidWorks, machine tools, and mechanical metrology equipment
- Practical experience with professional engineering design and document control methodology
- Demonstrated ability to design for long term support and modification
- Ability to travel occasionally (2 weeks per quarter)
Salary Range: $95,000-$125,000.00/Year