Sr. Water Resources Project Manager
3570 Carmel Mountain Road Suite 300 San Diego, CA 92130
Our client is seeking an energetic and highly motivated self-starter to join their San Diego, CA Water Resources Group as a Senior Water Resources Project Manager.
This is a great opportunity to lead a variety of water-related projects involving hydrologic and hydraulic (H&H) modeling and analysis, green infrastructure design, flood hazard identification/quantification/mitigation, Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) Risk MAP studies, watershed master planning, storm drainage and stream restoration/stabilization design. This person will mentor junior staff, review engineering calculations, perform field observations, prepare design reports and exhibits, supervise the planning, development, and production of engineering drawings, develop or conduct quality control review of 1D and 2D computer models, floodplain mapping, watershed planning, and stream stabilization design, and closed conduit and open channel design. This individual will apply full competency in water resources engineering work and broad knowledge of hydrologic/hydraulic analysis and design methods.
Under direction, provides professional and project management expertise in the direction of highly unconventional projects requiring multiple technical units and/or subcontractors, heavy regulatory agency involvement or extremely complex technical requirements. Functions as mentor to project managers and technical professionals to assist in their training and development. Also performs the basic project functions of production coordination, planning, organizing, directing, controlling, financial management and marketing.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Coordinates and participates in contract negotiations with clients and subcontractors, and drafts very complex professional service agreements, arranging for their review and execution by senior management.
- Conducts QCAP reviews of less complicated professional services agreements.
- Directs project team compliance with contract terms, monitors subcontractors' progress, performance and compliance with contractual commitments; participates in contract dispute resolution and litigation concerning project performance, administration and other liability issues; reviews and approves subconsultant and vendor invoices, and resolves payment disputes.
- Develops, communicates and manages project quality assurance, administrative procedures, communication guidelines, project deliverable formats and specifications, and progress reporting requirements.
- Monitors schedules, billings and reports; ensures appropriate charging of man-hours, costs and expenses to projects; assists in obtaining payment from clients; resolves client disputes and adjusts billing records as required; communicates project progress/status to senior management and alerts them of project production, quality control or financial performance problems.
- Identifies new business opportunities for the firm, coordinates and participates in project presentations to clients and other external groups, and promotes firm' s capabilities, marketing its services to existing and prospective clients.
- Participates in project opportunity evaluation, consultant selection, and in the preparation of firm' s qualification/experience statements.
- Coordinates communications between internal and external associates and client, and between firm and regulatory agencies. Maintains frequent contact with clients and regulatory agency personnel to determine their respective needs and requirements, and serves as expert witness at project hearings and judicial proceedings, if necessary.
- Supervises other project managers, technical professionals and other design staff including managing weekly project workload and manpower forecasting.
- Conducts project management training workshops and serves as mentor to associate project managers and project managers.
- Monitors and reports financial status of projects to technical managers.
- Performs such other duties as the supervisor may from time to time deem necessary.
Education and Experience:
- Bachelor' s degree in Civil Engineering.
- Graduate degree preferred.
- Management coursework and/or MBA a plus.
- This level may be achieved with ten or more years of experience in project production and technical professional activities, four of these working as a project manager.
- Proven interpersonal skills, public speaking and persuasive ability; strong project financial management and team management skills; knowledge of production support systems and personal computer proficiency.
- Good technical writing, computer and communications skills required.
- Experience and familiarity with the following programs is preferred: ArcGIS, HEC-HMS, HEC-RAS, Ras2D, FLO-2D, FlowMaster, WSPG, XPSWMM, and AutoCAD/Microstation.
- PE License is required.
Must Have Experience:
- H&H modeling.
- Floodplain mapping.
- FEMA Risk MAP studies.
- Watershed master planning.
- Storm drainage.
- Stream restoration.
- Participating in contract negotiations with clients/ subcontractors.
- Project management.
- 10+ years of experience.
General Competencies Expected of all Professionals and Managers are as follows:
- Client Service, Commitment, Communication, Innovation & Continuous Improvement, Professionalism, Quality, and Teamwork.
- Ability to process paper/electronic documents and utilize computer equipment; ability to communicate clearly both orally and in writing; ability to visit project sites if necessary.
- Job also requires ability to assemble and analyze data, and plan/prioritize project tasks.