Structural Engineer II
San Luis Obispo, CA 93401 US
To provide project design and detailing, including plans (hand sketches and 2D CAD production), calculations (hand calculations and using computer analysis tools), specifications, and estimates, with moderate direction from senior staff.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
• Meet budgets and deadlines.
• Submit timely timecards and reimbursables.
• Travel (minimally) as necessary to support the firm and clients.
• Meet your chargeability target as set annually by the company.
• Share profession-related talents with others in the firm.
• Follow all Engineering Group policies and procedures.
• Uphold high standards of quality.
• Communicate effectively and proactively with peers, employees, and management.
• Act as an integral member of the Engineering Group, in support of the defined Engineering and Design Group mission, vision, values, and goals.
• Work collaboratively with the Engineering team and other workgroups.
• Perform other duties as necessary to support the success of the company.
Building Relationships & Networking:
• Interact with clients and represent company in a professional and courteous manner, understanding how your performance reflects on reputation and ability to secure return clients.
• Interact with clients moderately and only under the direction of the Project Manager, for minor tasks.
• Perform structural analysis for both lateral (wind and seismic) and gravity systems for buildings comprised of steel, concrete, wood, or masonry
• Produce a comprehensive set of building and/or component calculations tailored to the project type and jurisdiction.
• Provide project design (e.g. drawing, detailing, specifications, calculations, processing, plans, estimates) under the direction of a senior staff member
• Create, edit, and modify structural plans, drawings, and details and produce a complete set of construction documents utilizing AutoCAD (and potentially REVIT)
• Produce accurate CAD work that meets appearance and CAD standards.
• Submit plans and drawings to the agency having jurisdiction and respond to plan review comments.
• Review shop drawings and RFI’s and provide responses in a timely and efficient manner with an eye for constructability.
• Visit project sites (occasionally) for site visits and to perform structural observations (when licensed) confirm design issues, monitor construction, etc. with the ability to effectively communicate with contractors and subcontractors
• Gather data needed for report preparation and prepare sections of reports, under the direction of senior staff.
• Learn adapt and grow structural and general building knowledge and experience and carry it forward to future projects.
• Provide design and direction to junior staff in design and detailing (hand and CAD/REVIT) and calculations (hand and computer analysis and modeling).
• Assist Interns and CAD Designers with design and CAD questions.
• Learn the scope and budget available for the tasks assigned and produce work within those constraints.
• Assist in preparing task budgets within a proposal, under the direction of a Project Manager.
Education and Experience:
• Bachelor’s Degree in Architectural Engineering or Civil Engineering with a Structural Concentration
• Minimum three (3) years of experience
• Current knowledge of professional codes, laws, computer applications, and trends
Licensing and Certification:
• Engineer-in-training with intent to obtain PE license.
• Valid California driver’s license
• Ability to drive a vehicle for company business and to comply with company Motor Vehicle Policy
Knowledge, Abilities, and Skill:
• Knowledge of engineering principles and load path required
• Knowledge and understanding of the current applicable codes and design standards (at a minimum below)
NDS including the SDPWS
AISC 360 and 341
• Proficiency and understanding of relevant engineering software
RISA-3D or equivalent (required)
Enercalc, Tedds or equivalent (required)
Woodworks or equivalent (preferred)
Etabs or equivalent (preferred)
SAFE or equivalent (preferred)
Retainpro or equivalent (a plus)
• Proficiency in MS Office - Outlook, Word, and Excel (Access experience a plus)
• Strong working knowledge and proficiency in AutoCAD (latest or recent version) with the capability to perform production level work (REVIT experience a plus)
• Ability to prepare, assemble and organize detailed and comprehensive structural calculations required
• Design and detailing of steel and concrete structures preferred
• Experience in the design and detailing of residential, single and multi-story low rise structures with an emphasis in wood and masonry required and commercial and mixed use projects preferred.
• Ability to communicate structural concepts and ideas effectively through verbal or written communication or drawings, details or sketches is required
• Ability to analyze problems and come up with creative solutions
• Ability to work in a team both internally and externally with Architects, contractors, subcontractors, other design professionals and owners
• Proactive and responsive with excellent customer/client service skills
• Capable of multi-tasking, handling multiple concurrent project assignments
• Must be a self-starter that is capable of making decisions with minimal direction based on sound engineering judgement
• Must take ownership of work and projects
• Must be flexible and adaptable to changing project requirements and scope based on client coordination
Reasonable accommodation may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform essential functions. The following physical demands are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job:
• Requires ability to travel.
• Requires ability to work in all outdoor and weather conditions.
• Requires use of fingers, hands, and arms to handle office materials.
• Requires talking and hearing.
• Requires frequent standing, walking, and sitting.
• Requires color vision, close vision, distance vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and the ability to adjust visual focus.
• Requires considerable time spent in front of computer screens.
• Requires the ability to work in environment with a moderate noise level.
• Requires the ability to read typed and hand-written reports.
• Occasionally requires climbing, balancing, stooping, kneeling, crouching, or crawling.
• Occasionally requires lifting or moving up to 25 pounds.
• Occasionally requires exposure to moving mechanical parts, high precarious places, fumes or airborne particles, toxic or caustic chemicals, outdoor weather conditions, risk of electrical shock, and/or risk of radiation and vibration.
Salary: $78,000.00- $92,000.00/Year