Supervisor - Mechanical Systems
4515 Taylor Circle Duluth, MN 55811 | Contract
Engineering Supervisor Duties and Responsibilities:
- Review work for technical accuracy and ensure design standards and processes are followed across all aircraft platforms, such as drawings, specifications, plans and reports, and design reviews.
- Develop and maintain technical knowledge base for functional area, including research and development to maintain currency with state of the art.
- Troubleshoot engineering failures, identify system shortcomings and affect remedial practices and procedures.
- Maintain technical competency in specialty and continue to produce engineering within that specialty as an individual contributor and team member.
- Develops and maintains standards and processes germane to functional disciplines.
- Hiring and termination of employees within the discipline.
- Make project assignments based on resource needs defined by PPO with input from the LPE/PE.
- Employee performance management, including annual performance reviews with input from the LPE/PE, and CE, and if required, performance improvement plans
- Interface and coordination on technical decision with the CE.
- Oversight of training of employees including onboarding and recurrent training.
- Mentor new engineers.
- Reward and recognition for employees.
- Reporting of capacity to PPO and Director of Systems as required.
- Distribution and enforcement of policy and guidance from Senior Management.
- Manage area goals and objectives.
- Approve bi-weekly timesheets and vacation requests.
- Weekly reporting of platform and organization status.
- Meet regularly with the group to pass information up and down.
- Attend required leadership classes (Leadership essentials each year, New supervisor class).
- BS, Aerospace or Mechanical Engineering.
- 5 years or greater experience in aircraft systems design.
- Experience leading a engineering design team.
- Prior experience working with aviation, FAA, new design programs / projects.
- Must have working knowledge of the applicable sections of Federal Aviation Regulation Part 23.
- The ideal candidate would be a DER with approval delegation for multiple areas of mechanical systems.
- Familiar with Industry standards such including DO-160, MIL-HDBKs and SAE ARPs.
- Aircraft mechanical system integration and systems detail design and certification experience.
- Systems functional and performance testing.
- Basic computer skills, including Word and Excel, computer aided design (Ideally Creo) ability and drawing reading skills, required.
- Must possess strong verbal and written English communication skills.
- Good communication skills on technical issues.
- Experience with aircraft operations and other aircraft systems is a plus.