Systems Opto-Mechanical Engineer
1820 S. Myrtle Ave Monrovia, CA 91016
- This position requires high precision, hands-on mechanical and optomechanical skills to design, engineer, set up, test, and validate the critical optical and optomechanical components of advanced, complex laser process and imaging automation systems as required following the ISO 9001 quality management system.
- Engineer optical path drawings and related technical specifications
- Mechanical layout and detail design drawings for fabrication of mechanical and optomechanical automation systems.
- Set up and adjust optical components, such as mirrors and beam expanders, using mechanical and optomechanical hand tools to align laser beam paths
- Optimize laser beam characteristics using specialized optomechanical devices, such as collimators and polarizers
- Measure laser output power and laser beam quality characteristics using specialized tools to insure laser stability
- Employ professional optics care techniques to inspect, clean, and maintain optics, optomechanical devices, and associated tools
- Complete clear, comprehensive testing reports to document results and to highlight issues in detail
- Operate and test high peak power lasers for the purposes of optical beam path alignment and system validation
- Plan and execute moderate design and documentation tasks such as electromechanical design layouts and detail drawings, electronic packaging (sheet metal) design, bills of materials, assembly drawings, engineering release packages
- Develop product structures and bills of materials for custom and standard products
- Evaluate and execute document change requests then supply engineering documentation to ECO documentation clerks for entry into ERP system.
- Create and update bills of materials
- Must coordinate own efforts with others, but this is not a supervisory position.
- Travel is required for the position and will typically be less than 10-15% of the year.
- Hands-on experience in all areas of design and drafting including:
- Detail drawing
- Creating and maintaining of bills of materials in computerized database
- Experience using 3D tools, preferably SolidWorks
- Two (2) years minimum of experience in engineering department with formal engineering records and documentation control
- Formal training and experience applying relevant ANSI standards to design and drafting documentation.
- Two (2) years of formal training in electro-mechanical design and drafting
- B.S. in engineering, materials science, physics, optics, or another related technical field preferred
- Hands-on experience with high precision mechanical or optomechanical tools and components
- Manual dexterity, high attention to detail, and ability to work with small tools and optomechanical devices
- Experience with laser processing preferred
- Must be self-driven and highly results-oriented, with an aptitude for completing tasks in specified periods of time
- Ability to travel domestic and international