Systems Safety Engineer
16530 Via Esprillo San Diego, CA 92127
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Employ safety analysis techniques, which will be performed on the engineering product.
- Develop System Safety for environmental compliance, prohibited materials, hazardous materials management, and pollution prevention in accordance with MIL-STD-882E.
- Develop, deliver and update System Safety Analysis and Risk Assessment, and Hazard Tracking database Flow down of the System Safety requirements to suppliers and audit/review of the supplier' s analysis is also required. Independently analyzes and recommends safety features and controls for system design, software, training and procedures to mitigate or eliminate hazards.
- Perform and support the development of safety documentation to support customer and contract requirements Support the development of integrated system hazard analyses.
- Ensure hardware and software system safety requirements are identified and documented in appropriate plans, processes and procedures.
- Assure the program defines and collects evidence in meeting established safety requirements (including identification and execution/oversight of Level of Rigor testing).
- Prepare and deliver presentations and participates in safety review meetings, system design meetings, program engineering review and change board meetings.
- Ensure hazard controls are properly implemented and verified.
- Participate in the development of testing activities to assure safety requirements are met.
- Review and provide input to Systems Engineering, Design and Software documentation consistent with project phase to include requirements development, design, development, verification, test methods and performance verification Review specifications, technical documentation, and changes to those documents for impacts to system safety. The results of these analyses will be documented in technical reports.
- Plan, host and support System Safety working groups to validate the system’ s design to meet requirements Work closely with customer to develop Safety Cases, collaborates hazard, mitigations and residual risk and obtain Safety Releases/Certifications.
- Ensures that safety critical functions are tracked and that risks are reduced through valid controls to ensure safer operations within a system.
- Ensure that requirements specifications clearly identify the safety requirements.
- Ensure bi-directional traceability between safety requirements and system hazards, which traces down to the design specifications, implementation, and verification method.
- Ensures that safety issues are addressed in formal and informal reviews and that specific safety analyses and tests are performed especially when there are specific software safety issues and potential hazards.
- Interfaces with the testing organizations to ensure verification of hazard controls implemented by hardware / software.
- Reviews safety-critical requirements for inclusion in project technical specifications.
- Interacting with the customer’ s safety organizations and coordinating with our systems safety group and subcontractors.
- Helps facilitate schedule performance thru optimized implementation planning with CAMs.
- Performs other duties as assigned or required.
We recognize and appreciate the value and contributions of individuals with diverse backgrounds and experiences and welcome all qualified individuals to apply.
- Typically requires a bachelors degree, masters degree or PhD in engineering or a related technical discipline from an accredited institution and progressive engineering experience as follows; four or more years of experience with a bachelors degree or two or more years of experience with a masters degree.
- May substitute equivalent engineering experience in lieu of education.
- Must have a complete understanding of engineering concepts, principles, codes, and theory; experience demonstrating a broad application of those concepts; and, expanding knowledge of principles, concepts, theory, and practices in related technical specialties.
- Must possess the ability to understand new concepts quickly; apply them accurately throughout an evolving environment; organize, schedule, and coordinate work phases; and, determine the appropriate approach at the task level or, with assistance, at the project level to provide solutions to a range of complex problems.
- Must have excellent communication, computer, documentation, presentation, and interpersonal skills, ability to work independently and as part of a team; able to perform complex tasks in one engineering area; and, lead a team of less experienced professional employees on semi-routine tasks.
- Able to work extended hours as required.
- A Professional Engineering License is desirable.
- US Citizenship is required.
- Ability to obtain and maintain a DoD Security Clearance is required.
- Strong system safety technical background is required.
- Strong creative drive and the ability to apply out of the box thinking to research problems.
- Experience conducting System Safety efforts, testing and verification in compliance with MIL-STD-882E or equivalent.
- Demonstrated knowledge of Safety Engineering design practices.
- Proficient with Microsoft Office products.
- Proficient in hazard tracking software.
- Strong interpersonal skills and an ability to build effective working relationships are required.
- Additionally, candidate must have excellent oral and written communication skills, technical writing experience, and an ability to perform oral presentations in front of large groups.
- Candidate must be willing to work overtime and travel as needed to support program requirements.
- Demonstrated System Safety experience in a Conceptual/Preliminary Design environment.
- Demonstrated System Safety experience in a Development Program.
- Possesses experience in training and mentoring less experienced engineers to train engineers in the practical application of the System Safety technical discipline.
- Experience with military or government programs.
Travel Percentage Required 0% - 25%