Tool and Die Maker
3151 North Kenwood Street Burbank, CA 91505
Assesses specifications, lays out metal stock, prepares and operates machine tools, and fits and assembles parts to fabricate and repair metalworking dies, cutting tools, jigs and fixtures, gauges, and machinists' hand tools, applying knowledge of tool and die design and construction, shop mathematics, metal properties, and layout, machining, and assembly procedures.
- Studies specifications, such as blueprints, sketches, models, or descriptions, and visualizes product to determine materials required and machines to be used to fabricate parts.
- Computes dimensions, plans layout, and determines assembly method and sequence of operations.
- Measures, marks, and scribes metal stock for machining.
- Sets up and operates machine tools, such as lathes, milling machines, shapers, and grinders, to machine parts, and verifies conformance of machined parts to specifications.
- Smoothes flat and contoured surfaces, using scrapers, abrasive stones, and power grinders, and fits and assembles parts together and into assemblies and mechanisms, using hand tools.
- Verifies dimensions, alignments, and clearances, using measuring instruments, such as dial indicators, gauge blocks, thickness gauges, and micrometers.
- Heat-treats tools or parts.
- May examine standard or previously used dies, tools, and jigs and fixtures, and recommend design modifications regarding construction and function of part.
- May develop specifications from general descriptions for specialty tools and draw or sketch design of product.
- Performs other related duties as required and assigned
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to use hands to finger, handle, or feel; reach with hands and arms; and talk or hear. The employee frequently is required to walk. The employee is occasionally required to stand and sit. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and ability to adjust focus.