Transmission Line Engineer I, II, III
West Palm Beach, FL 33470 US
Type: Direct, Full Time
Location: West Palm Beach, FL
Salary: Exempt; Bonuses: Annual
Work Schedule: Hybrid, Remote, In-Office (Flex Work Schedule)
Report To: Transmission Supervisor
Direct Reports to This Position: None
Interview Process: Phone/Virtual/Onsite
Industry Requirements: Commercial, Institutional, Industrial, Municipal and Residential
Must Have: PLS-CADD
General Description of Position:
- Perform a lead role in the detail design of 69-500kV transmission line projects, preparation of specifications, administrative functions or field engineering related to assigned engineering projects under the supervision of the incumbent’s immediate supervisor or other designated professional engineer.
- The incumbent must be competent to operate various design software tools (PLS-CADD, MFAD, LPILE,) required for performing the design and engineering tasks associated with transmission line projects and assignments.
- The incumbent must also possess an understanding of basic issues associated with developing engineering packages/construction documentation for the assigned project.
- Design of engineered systems of the medium size and complexity. Activities shall include,
but not be limited to, the following:
- Preliminary design and budgetary estimate.
- Detailed design and estimates.
- Equipment specification, proposal evaluation and requisitioning.
- Engineering calculations to assure safety and performance of equipment and systems.
- Acquisition of on-site measurements and other data to accomplish the design or to monitor and evaluate plant performance.
- Coordinating equipment delivery and design engineering to meet construction schedules.
- Checking completed job for adequacy of design and documentation.
- PLS-CADD, PLS-POLE, PLS-TOWER, etc.
- MFAD, LPILE, preferred but not required
- Foundation design experience
- Experience with industry design codes and standards for electric utility design
- Develop bill of materials
- Develop structure framing details, to include all structure views, hardware, grounding details and bill of material for various pole materials, ex. steel, wood or concrete poles.
- Create PLS CADD plan & profile drawings
- Create a complete construction design package that incorporates all required details for construction, ex, specific instructions, bill of material, structure list, staking table, stringing charts, etc.
- Engineering calculations to assure safety and performance of transmission facilities, equipment and systems.
- Support the QA/QC process for completed projects prior to customer submittal.
- Engineering calculations in compliance with safety, customer standards, and industry utility practice.
- Act as Resident Engineer on small to medium size projects.
- Interpret plans and specifications and apply available information to ensure that all project design requirements are satisfied.
- Maintain familiarity with appropriate engineering and construction codes and ensure compliance with all codes.
- Prepare and/or monitor construction schedules to ensure timely completion of the work.
- Institute and direct changes to the work when required by differing site conditions.
- Conduct on-site design or investigation work to ensure adequacy of contractors methods.
- Receive, evaluate, and approve contractor’s invoices.
- Receive and inspect equipment to be installed on the project and approve for payment.
- Self-starter and outgoing personality traits
- Demonstrated leadership skills
- Ability to take direction and act independently
- Strong communications and organization skills
- Ability to manage multiple priorities and stay organized while doing so
- Detail oriented with excellent time management skills
- Continually strives for a professional product with a quality & process driven mindset
- Customer focused with ability to adapt to various and fluid customer standards and
- Bachelor of Science in Engineering from an ABET accredited program or a Bachelor of
Science in Engineering Technology from an ABET accredited program and successful completion of Fundamentals of Engineering (FE) exam
- Professional Engineer’s license desired (State of Florida).
- 4 - 7 years of experience in engineering of related projects.
- Strong understanding and knowledge of industry and national codes and standards including but not limited to NEC, Life Safety Code NFPA 101, NFPA 70/70E, IEEE and International Building Code.
- Experience with system design software, CADD and Microsoft Office products