Transmission Planning Department Manager
1132 Bishop Street Honolulu, HI 96813
Client Site: Hawaii Electric
***Transmission Planning Department Manager***
- Manage, coordinate and direct the operations of the Transmission Planning Department.
- Evaluate and recommend plans, policies and methodologies for the development and enhancement of electrical transmission systems.
- Direct the analysis of the impact of new utility supply-side resources and independent power producer (IPP) proposals.
- Advise on all matters related to power transmission planning, design, and operations.
- Provide leadership for the evaluation and development of long- and short-range planning assessments.
- Make recommendations for the implementation of projects, programs, and policies to develop and enhance electrical transmission systems.
- Provide leadership in coordinating long- and short-range transmission plans, generation plans, and distribution plans and projects.
- Direct operations planning studies and recommendations, to include generation dispatch schedule and line capability determinations during transmission line maintenance or outages and investigations of major system disturbances.
- Determine and direct interconnection requirements, operational curtailment, and transmission system related avoided cost analysis for IPP project proposals, advising utility senior management and negotiating team in developing purchase power contract terms and strategy.
- Advise on IPP design and construction process to provide utility overview and ensure project compliance with interconnection requirements and power purchase agreement terms.
- Provide the expertise to formulate utility’ s position on transmission system related issues before external agencies or groups by presenting and providing data, documentation, responses to information requests, and/or written and oral testimony.
- Determine priority of work assigned and process to complete in an effective and timely manner.
- Determine the Department' s present and forecasted operational needs for budgeting purposes.
- Manage, direct, investigate, or research the practices of other utilities.
- Manage, direct, coordinate, check and approve studies and designs of engineers.
- Keep abreast of political, regulatory, and technical changes, innovations, and progress related to functional area.
- BS degree in Electrical Engineering or equivalent degree and experience required. (Emphasis in the field of Power System Analysis is highly desirable.)
- Extensive knowledge of methods of economic analysis and principles of electrical engineering in the field of power system analysis including load flows, stability analysis, short circuit analysis, system protection, and production simulations.
- Professional Engineer Registration in the State of Hawaii (or ability to obtain via reciprocity).
- Thorough knowledge of the principles of utility rates and tariffs, PURPA, and general energy issues.
- Thorough knowledge of budgeting and forecasting process (including annual Operating Forecast; Capital Budgets; Inter-Company Billings; etc.).
- Supervisory/leadership skills including effective written, verbal, and listening communication skills; ability to work with a variety of individuals occasionally dealing with sensitive, difficult or confrontational issues using tact, courtesy, and discretion.
- Analytical, organizational and conceptual skills to handle various projects and programs.
- Ability to remain flexible in a demanding work environment and adapt to rapidly changing priorities.
- Strong interpersonal skills to influence and persuade various groups or individuals.
- Extensive (8+ years) experience in power system planning or operations.
- Several (3-5) years of supervisory experience.