2980 N. San Fernando Blvd Burbank, CA 91504-2566
The Welding Engineer covers the assignment to and the independent performance of varied and complex professional duties in the specialized field of welding of materials, parts or assemblies. Plans performance of assignments comprised of programs ranging progressively from simple to moderately complex problems in the specialized field of welding.
To achieve the mission for this position, the Welding Engineer will produce the following critical actions and results:
- Study and analyze the technical and cost aspects of existing information relating to a welding problem before starting investigations or development program.
- Experiment or coordinate the activities of others in experimenting with new applications of tools, equipment, and welding processes, to determine capacities, limitations, and characteristic reaction of metals or processes, used or usable in manufacture of aircraft and missile parts. Investigate and develop new methods of joining material.
- Acts as Solver on welding problem for foreman.
- Issues Technical Reports and Process Specifications for welding. Record, compile, and analyze test results obtained from welding research, and from these results derive conclusions subject to review by immediate supervisor as to the best method of resolving assigned problems.
- Develop detailed planning that leads to repeatable, sustainable weld quality. The resulting process should be compatible with single-piece flow line production.
- Reviews and analyzes results of welding programs conducted by other personnel. Recommends use of welding research processes and procedures which investigation has proven will provide the best solution to assembly of company products.
- Submit to supervisor, periodic reports indicating programs and plans for future activities and showing degree of accomplishment on work currently in process.
- Develop or identify, then recommend improvements in engineering design methods, engineering, and equipment when those changes will simplify production operations, reduce costs, or improve product quality. Observe the success of recommended changes and maintain records to verify its superiority.
- Coordinate the activities of other employees who may be assigned to assist. Follow up with other departments which are participating in welding research program and report progress so that action necessary to complete the operations satisfactorily and on schedule may be taken.
- Keep abreast of improvements in welding equipment, processes, and techniques.
- Coordinates certification of welders.
- Performs other duties as needed.
BACKGROUND AND EXPERIENCE:
Must have a thorough knowledge of aerospace welding engineering principles and practices as they relate to the manufacturing of precision metal products. Extensive knowledge and experience in aerospace precision welding of company and customer products in compliance with rigid customer and engineering specifications and requirements using GTAW process. Strong understanding of metallic arc, gas brazing, gas welding and cutting processes.
The ideal candidate will have the following education, work history, knowledge and skills.
Education: Bachelor’ s degree in Welding Engineering or equivalent engineering degree with 1-5 years of experience with metallurgy, weld design, and strength of material. 1-5 years of experience in welding and developing of welding processes in the matter of precision metal products.
Skills & Experience:
- Thorough knowledge of welding equipment and welding processes in precision metal production. Ability to apply advanced technical knowledge of welding processes. Ability to develop and interpret specification and quality standards. Ability to interpret functional and qualitative procedures.
- Must certify the following groups: I, II, III, IV & VI.
- Extreme conscientiousness. Ability to work under pressure. Ability to work with minimal guidance on site and at suppliers. Aerospace production experience is required.
- Experience with a high mix, low volume manufacturing environment is preferred.
- Mix of experience managing and transforming culture in large assembly operations.
- Career progression with progressively more responsible roles within production operations.
- Lean / Continuous Improvement trained and certified.
- Experience with and oriented toward metrics in business analysis.
- Excellent problem-solving skills and ability to work within a team.
- Excellent written and verbal skills are mandatory.
- Access to our facility (and, therefore, employment) is restricted under the International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR) and/or Export Administration Regulations (EAR) to U.S. Citizens, lawful permanent residents of the United States and properly licensed foreign persons. Applicants receiving a conditional offer of employment will be required to provide information to determine whether they are subject to these regulations and, if so, to assess their country of chargeability for export control purposes)
Personality and Character:
The ideal candidate will have most of the following traits:
- Highly motivated self-starter
- Open and honest communicator
- Desire to achieve through engaging an entire team
- Leads by example
- Team player
- Accountable and willing to hold others accountable in an objective, straight-forward manner
- Willing to confront and resolve conflicts
- Logical, organized and detail oriented with the ability to see big picture
- Mentor style that promotes success of the team